New moorings at Sonning

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
Just passed Sonning today, going upstream. Didn’t stop, but noticed upstream of the lock, the EA have redone all the moorings and extended them with proper wooden edges and bollards. Reckon there is about 200 metres of nice moorings now. Sign says payments for moorings, please see lock keeper.
Anyone used them yet or even aware they were done?

Scapegoat

Visit site
Just passed Sonning today, going upstream. Didn’t stop, but noticed upstream of the lock, the EA have redone all the moorings and extended them with proper wooden edges and bollards. Reckon there is about 200 metres of nice moorings now. Sign says payments for moorings, please see lock keeper.
Anyone used them yet or even aware they were done?
Yes - used them about 10 days ago. Only bollards - could do with some rings for safety overnight though. Pleasant spot, peaceful overnight and easy stroll to Sonning. Bit shallow in some places for 1.2 m draft

Attachments

• 94D182DC-6F43-442D-B87E-7482D6C4CB0A.jpeg
    94D182DC-6F43-442D-B87E-7482D6C4CB0A.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 29

Barge

Visit site
I do wish they would let you know what the charges are without having to go see the lockie.

It will be free for 24hrs anyway so why not say that? And then that each additional night (max 2) is £5.50 a night?

I shall not be "registering my arrival" en route to the Bull... Take a walk each evening and make a note of who is there like they do at Goring.

TrueBlue

Visit site
I bet the lockie will love that!
- dealing with hordes of grumpy boaters (present company excepted of course...)

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
Well at least the EA have done something positive by the looks of those moorings. We did notice that below the lock, the old Uri Geller moorings (not EA) are looking rather shabby, with one section collapsed into the river.

Chris_d

Visit site
You do have something of a bee in your bonnet about that, don't you ? ?
Its just good seamanship... sorry rivermanship, you wouldn't try to hold position or drop anchor with your stern to the stream would you. I know most of the time you can get away with it when the river is hardly flowing so it doesn't really matter, have done it myself if there are other priorites. But it is a good way to spot the amateurs, although I think in the case of the wide beams its often a combination of ignorance and laziness. When you live opposite a busy mooring area you see a lot near misses due to this simple mistake. ;)

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Its just good seamanship... sorry rivermanship, you wouldn't try to hold position or drop anchor with your stern to the stream would you. I know most of the time you can get away with it when the river is hardly flowing so it doesn't really matter, have done it myself if there are other priorites. But it is a good way to spot the amateurs, although I think in the case of the wide beams its often a combination of ignorance and laziness. When you live opposite a busy mooring area you see a lot near misses due to this simple mistake. ;)
There are no rules or regs regarding this. There is perceived wisdom and practice but most boaters don't have a clue. A good skipper knows his boat, considers the priorities and ensures a safe outcome. We’re talking about mooring, not anchoring or holding position. As an elderly boater I’m more concerned with safety getting on and off than which way the boat is pointing and if I want to wash the port side its usually easier if thats landside !

Bran

Visit site
Often decide to moor stern to so we have a nicer view when eating on the aft deck or to put the generator outlet away from the bank as it reduces the noise. Plus maybe giving one side a clean as boatone mentioned.

Time Out

Visit site

It has certainly become more of a ‘thing’ when I was a kid (30+years ago) it was almost unheard of.

In fact I’m pretty sure you were asked to leave the yacht club ;)

That said I do it often as I can’t be bothered to put the fenders on the port side !

oldgit

Visit site
Depends entirely on which way the wind is blowing and much prefer to have the rising morning sun warming up the back of the boat while having a healthy fried breakfast,
Some of us rise at around 5.30-6.00am to check that the sun has come up .
Some ancient civilisations went to some trouble to ensure this happens the least one can now do is to greet it.
Have no interest at all in the the world after 9.00 PM and happy to leave it to its devices.