Bunym0b

Visit site
Hello,

I’m hoping, subject the the offer being accepted and a satisfactory survey, to be the proud owner of a Holman
26 wooden yacht. I’d like some advice on a spray hood and on a boarding ladder. I’d like a traditional
Wooden one like on Hillyards. I’m really pleased with the boat , we will be either on the River Crouch or
On the river Orwell.

Tranona

Visit site
Welcome to the forum

For a sprayhood suggest you ask a local sailmaker or canvas worker for ideas and a quote. They will come and measure your boat and discuss your requirements. However, be aware that getting a good looking, practical one on a 26' boat is not always easy, particularly if there is limited clearance under the boom.

Expect you will have to make the boarding ladder yourself as not aware of any "standard" ones. however, think the traditional fittings are available from either Davey or Classic Marine.

Bunym0b

Visit site
thanks re the spray hood, I'll look out for one. the boarding ladder I saw on line is this one but its specific to a certain boat.
https://www.sheridanmarine.com/product/freeman-mahogany-boarding-ladders, but there are others-generally from the USA

apropos Holman yachts, I see that both the Twister and the Stella designs are well served served with clubs , the 26, not so much. She is a cracking little boat though. there are a few on the Old Gaffers Association. Any others?

Bunym0b

Visit site
yes it might be a bit big, though it folds and i would get the smaller one. it would store on the coach roof as on a Hillyard.

sideshowbob

Visit site
Spray hood from your local cover maker. Steps for a Hillyard are a bit different to what you show. The profile for the hull side where you hang them needs to be matched exactly and I would advise covering the contact surface of the ladder (where it touches the hull) with either leather or something that has a little padding just to protect the topsides finish. You will also need some little tethers from the ladder sides (just above water line) up to the sheer of your boat at about 45 degrees to stabilise the ladder. It looks to me like the ladder just drops in place over the brackets. when the boat is at anchor you will find the buoyancy of the ladder may pop the the ladder out of its bracket when she starts rolling from passing boat wake.

Am sure you will be all right size wise if it stows just behind the mast.

JALDI

Visit site
Hello,

I’m hoping, subject the the offer being accepted and a satisfactory survey, to be the proud owner of a Holman
26 wooden yacht. I’d like some advice on a spray hood and on a boarding ladder. I’d like a traditional
Wooden one like on Hillyards. I’m really pleased with the boat , we will be either on the River Crouch or
On the river Orwell.

I have the following two ladders that may interest you. Let me know if you want more details like more pictures, size, cost, etc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 8

Dan Tribe

Visit site
The story in Stella circles was that Dicky Bird was telling Kim Holman that he loved his Stella, but would like a carvel hull and a bit more headroom. So the Stella But [or Holman 26] was born.
Might not be true but it's a good story.

Amphora

Visit site
apropos Holman yachts, I see that both the Twister and the Stella designs are well served served with clubs , the 26, not so much. She is a cracking little boat though. there are a few on the Old Gaffers Association. Any others?

I now own 'Amphora', the Holman 26 listed on the OGA. Do you know how many Holman 26's are knocking around? Not too many I'm guessing.

Amphora is still on the East Coast, but a few miles further north, on the Tyne, at Royal Quay Marina.

debenriver

Visit site
We built Amphora, Yard No. 423, launched May 1963. We built the first of the H26's (Nymphet) in 1961 for Kim Holman himself (the second of three boats we built him). In total we built nine H26's between then and 1966.

I can remember Amphora being launched – I started at the yard in September 1962 and she was the first launching for me! The neck of her launching bottle is still in my collection – they were originally displayed all around the office dating from 1931 to 1990.

Cheers -- George

Bunym0b

Visit site
Here is my boat, Canewdon Witch. I would like to see photos of others especially the galley. I have a copy of the original sales brochure and a contemporary review too. There were two configurations for the boat. One is more refined than the other with more high end joinery more suited to cruising, whilst the other was more set out for racing. The Book three Boys in a boat is a delightful story about boat ownership and Nymphette plays a big role here.

Attachments

• IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 15

Bunym0b

Visit site
Really lovely. You have a wooden boom. Both my mast and boom are gold anodised aluminum. They are lovely boats. I do almost no sailing but do go aboard most weekends in the sailing season. I changed the colour from blue to white. I'll keep it white for now but will paint her black one year. I've made some improvements, including fitting a period baby blake. This year I want refurbish the galley and put in a taylors cooker.