cadettom

Visit site
hey there seafarers. my name is tom, and i am new to this forum. i am 16, and this year im going to be a deck cadet with maersk. i would just like to know in what way each of you is involved with shipping and what you do?? thanks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
Welcome to the real world Tom, and unless Maersk has changed a lot you have picked a pretty good place to start. Most of the people who use these forums are yachties and power boat people, but many of us, self included, have a professional background in the sea and a love of it which I cannot begin to describe. All i can tell you is that my wife says I always have a grin on my face when I am behind the wheel of my boat even when things are difficult.

May you have a long and successful career and why not post from time to time to tell us how you are doing. I for one would like to know.

<hr width=100% size=1>Chris Stannard

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
Like Chris says, most of the people on this fourm are Yachties and Motorboaters.

I'm sure there are a few like myself who spent some time in the Merchant Navy. I actually wanted to join the Royal Navy when I was your age, but I didn't quite make the eyesight requirements. I served an apprenticeship ashore as an electrician, and then joined BP Tanker Company. I had the most wonderful six and a half years of my life, and seen parts of the world that I only dreamed about, with some wonderful experiences. Don't get me wrong, there is a load of hard work and some really sh*tty jobs along the way, but you will have a wonderful education.

I only gave it up because there was an oil crisis in 1975 (LONG before you were born), but I then went onto the North Sea Oil platforms, so I was still at sea - sort of.

Mearsk is a good company. I did a little work for them a few years back on one of their tankers that was being converted into a FPSO (Floating Production Storage & Offloading), for shell. Mearsk also run quite a few supply ships out of Aberdeen, which I see most days.

My advice would be to work hard, and enjoy the life. Please let us know how you get on, and best wishes !! I'm envious !!

Jim

<hr width=100% size=1>

Paraic

Visit site
Hi ya Tom
Well i hope ya enjoy becoming a deck officer i'd do anything in the world to become one it's a challeging & exciting career & best of luck.

<hr width=100% size=1>

trev

Visit site
Most ship owners are greedy penny-pinching types who will offer you no job security and will replace you with a Filipino or Indonesian as soon as its viable (probably just after your training). I suggest you get hold of a copy of the Telegraph - NUMAST journal- and see for yourself what is happening to our Merchant Navy.
I served in the MN for fifteen years before being forced into foreign flag (flag of convenience) vessels due to the sell off of British ships to cheaper operators. I now work for a Middle Eastern country who pay well and give very good benefits BUT you need a Master (Class-1) certificate before they will look at you and now are training their own nationals, as are most countries.
There is a future in British seafaring but it is poorly paid for the hours served and time spent from home.
When I first went to sea we had plenty of time in foreign ports to enjoy ourselves, and were relatively well paid. Now its all fast turn arounds and WORK !
A friend of mine recently approached a British company for work and was told "Sorry, we only employ Polish officers".
Approach with caution !!

<hr width=100% size=1>Trev

CAJ

Visit site
Good luck with Maersk - I work for Svitzer Marine Ltd, working on the tugs in and around the Bristol Channel.

Prior to that I worked at a marina for 5 years and continue to do some part time work there.

CJ

<hr width=100% size=1>

am2

Visit site
Good luck Tom! I am also a new member on this forum and actually I wanted to be a cadet a couple of years ago, but not with Maersk, it was with the then P&O Princess group or Cunard Line. Having been on a fair number of cruises (around 18, and I am only 18)with my grandfather and sometimes my parents, I got the appetite for the seas. Although I was seeing the glamorous side of the cruise industry, I was always wanted to be someday the captain of a cruise ship, such as the QE2, Aurora or Queen Mary 2. Unfortunately, when my grandfather died last year, I lost the cruising 'bug' altogether and have now taken another career path at University, hoping to become a History Teacher. But may I extend to you the best of wishes for your future career at sea!!