New Foulies, any recommendations...

rays

Visit site
I intend to buy a new set of foulies at the Boat Show. At present I have an old pair of Henri Lloyd salopettes which get damp because they aren't Gox -Tex or similar. And a Henri Lloyd TP1 jacket which gets damp in the rain!

SWMBO has Henri LLoyd Phantom jacket and salopettes and loves them! They certainly look/feel a lot better than my stuff and "breathe" too. I've been looking at the current Henri Lloyd range and can't believe the difference in price between the top of the range Ocean stuff and Offshore. about £180 difference for the set.

We intend to go to Holland and France this year, so reasonable useage but not Ocean crossing stuff.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what represents good value?

CD

wooslehunter

Visit site
Take a look at www.compass24.com. Their Proffession Offshore 5000 is good. Forget about the name. They're just as good & loads cheaper than the branded stuff. SWMBO has a set & I'm jus about to buy myself another set after some sh.t nicked my jacket. The zip in body warmer makes them quite flexible. IMO there's only one problem & that's if you don't like red.

No connection with compass. Just happy with the oilies.

bazobeleza

faro, portugal, & Liverpool for my sins, this year
Visit site
I picked up a Trespass jacket in Costco,lined, handwarmer pockets, fleece high collar, good hood, and waterproof all for 20 quid, It compares well it with my old Dan Fellowes that cost 140 quid 20 yrs ago. It had its first outing before xmas in scotland and it performed just as well. I won't be bothered if doesn't last as well as it doesn't cost a fraction of my original oilie.

I'd probably buy musto or lloyd if I was about to embark on the vende globe but until then I'll spend my money a little more wisely.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

robbieg

Visit site
If you are interested in Musto gear (and the budget will stretch!) there is and offer on for MPX offshore ollies with thermal base layer for about £460. Marinesuper store at Port Solent have the offer on at present.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My Henri Lloyd Ocean stuff bought in 1995 is still going strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

My 1992 purchased Henri Lloyd Ocean salopettes are also still going strong (though one shoulder strap had to to be restitched recently), which is a bit of a nuisance because they're a bit too big for me and I only got them because they were heavily discounted - odd size and previous year's colours, perhaps. If only they'd wear out so i could justify getting some new ones.

Musto jacket (offshore, i think) also of 1992 vintage still in use, though gets used a lot more and is rather dog-eared looking now. The velcro is coming off a pocket and the reflective strips came off sleeves (holes left here let a little water in). Do you think i could get Musto to repair under warranty?

I have no idea what they cost (seemed a lot at the time) but they were well worth it. With the benefit of hindsight paying full price for a pair of salopettes that actually fitted me would also have been worth it.

BlueChip

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I picked up a Trespass jacket in Costco,lined, handwarmer pockets, fleece high collar, good hood, and waterproof all for 20 quid, It compares well it with my old Dan Fellowes that cost 140 quid 20 yrs ago. It had its first outing before xmas in scotland and it performed just as well. I won't be bothered if doesn't last as well as it doesn't cost a fraction of my original oilie.

I'd probably buy musto or lloyd if I was about to embark on the vende globe but until then I'll spend my money a little more wisely.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The Trespass jackets that Costco sell are not breathable

bazobeleza

faro, portugal, & Liverpool for my sins, this year
Visit site
neither was my original, besides which I've got a goretex jacket and I'm not over impressed with it's 'breathable' properties. My costco jacket with a fleece and cotton shirt under it has yet to get 'sweaty' unlike the gtex one.

'breathable' to me is a tad overhyped. but you pays your money and make your choice.

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
Guy Cotton seem to be worth a good look. I used to have Guy Cotton commercial gear but did not see that they were making sailing togs when I bought my Musto set. I get the feeling they have only recently moved into this area, but am not sure.

Had I seen them, I would most likely have bought them, in fact certainly as I was more than happy when I was going out to sea for a living and kept warm and dry by my oilies. I wish I knew what has happened to my GC smock actually..

I just did a search and really like the look of the full body Salopettes, I think I am going to add them to my wish list.

guy cotton

MacMan

sailtoanywhere.blogspot.com
I don't agree with the Compass recommendation. we brought new sets this year and they are already showing little threads coming undone, sticking zips (which are far to small anyway). Do not compare to my previous Gill stuff or her Henri-Lloyd. Next time we will have to bight the bullit and by the "proper" stuff.

Gin

Visit site
Careful selection of e-bay sales may result in a good deal such as I got late last summer.

Musto HPX jacket, worn twice, £200- matching trousers, brand new £160 and HPX Offshore boots, worn on one long trip, £110.

New prices- suit best deal retail £722 and boots £180, so my kit was less than half price and I'm delighted with it all. I would have been even more delighted if I could have got hold of an MPX suit at an even lowerr price as this level of technology would have been more than adequate for my needs, but I'm not complaining!

ckris

Visit site
And I noticed the Musto outlet store in Bicester had MPX & HPX Ocean gear in stock about a week ago at @ 40% discount. Unusually they also had most sizes in stock.

bobgarrett

Visit site
I'd look at Helly Hansen too. My last set were excellent (lasted about 8 years) and just bought a new set. I tried all the others but went back to HH although they are not so widely available but worth looking for.

TimLamb

Visit site
One of the regular mags on the shelves this month is doing a 'Budget Oilies Test', might be worth a read, I didn't notice which mag., but HH were the 'Best Buy'.
Regards
Tim