New Forum Game - worst headwear

A

Alcyone

All pictures taken from our recent trip to Bristol. Allan and I went up Monday evening and returned Tuesday morning. Graham may still be there, as he still had several more hats to wear.

Here are the contenders:

Graham, with his 'J.R. Hartley' look, and Sean (I think) with 'Jungle fever'

h1.jpg

Graham again, a couple of hours later, with his evening wear:

h4.jpg

He evidently does not wear a hat for more than three hours, and there was a trail of used hats all the way from Cardiff.

Here's Allan, going commando, or, if you prefer, 'The reverse brazilian'

h3.jpg

And lastly, myself, looking stylish in 'JYC', paying homage to the captain:

h2.jpg

graham

Visit site
And another going commando shot....

019.jpg

Some non hat related pics of same trip to Bristol

002-2.jpg

004.jpg

007-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

011-3.jpg

023.jpg

A

Alcyone

Thanks for the pics, Graham. I think I worked out later that too much main can't really be balanced out by less foresail.

I think Louise learned a bit about shipping in the channel, as well...........

We would have loved to be able to stay longer.

A

Alcyone

Oh yes, that last picture is the last time the aftmost fender was seen alive. Another lesson we learned is not to position fenders in front of the Eberspacher exhaust. It made a sad sort of whistling noise as it died.

graham

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It made a sad sort of whistling noise as it died.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope you gave it a decent send off.. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Had a great sail back .broad reach all the way and not one drop of rain until cardiff Locks when it peed down.

Went on the new visitors pontoons opposite the SS Great Britain last night. Not much ashore there but good pontoons with water and electric and a bit quieter than up at night club alley.

A

Alcyone

Nope, it's still on the boat. Louise is a nurse, and I think she thinks she can save it.

I put some more pics on CYC forum. I think I have a few more of Banjo - Ill put them up later if I have. We were supposed to be going down West tomorrow, but our friends had an accident with one of their boats yesterday (in the news) so I'm not sure now. May be sailing instead.

Sneds

Visit site
Those new visitor pontoons are great aren't they?

Strange thing, the permanent moorings there, courtesy of Bristol City Docks are more expensive than the other pontoon moorings in the docks.
Why is that?

Sneds

Visit site
Oops! Forgot the hat pic.........my other 1/2
nov3rd015.jpg

and me.........

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
xmas08018.jpg

A

Alcyone

the first one looks like a sensible hat, that someone has dropped a pile of wool clippings on to from the top of that harbour wall.

Yours looks like a bad wig, though I'm not sure I've ever seen a good one.

I like my red hat, although it seems few others do.......

A

Alcyone

I found this - it's nearly 10 years old. I didn't realise I'd had that hat so long........

hatJPG.jpg

Mymobo

Visit site
My I ask how long it take to cruise up to Brsitol as we would like to run up this year?

Cheers

PS do you need a hat picture to join on the this post?

graham

Visit site
No special hats needed /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Its about 7 miles from Avonmouth to the Lock entrance. There is a speed limit on the Avon. Not sure but I think its 7 knots.

Its normal to enter the river about 2 or 3 hours before HW with a small boat.Last lock in is about 30 minutes before HW.

A

Alcyone

[ QUOTE ]
Haven't we done this before?.... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Age is a terrible thing. I have no recollection of that.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Short answer is it depends how fast you go, when you leave, and where you are coming from /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I presume you know the answer to all 3 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif and have access to a chart to work it out /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

...and a daft hat is an essential piece of gear for cruising in the BC - and it needs approval by the Moderator of the forum before you are allowed to be a "regular" /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sneds

Visit site
The speed limit in the River AVon is 9kts
It sould take you about an hour to get to the mouth of the river from Cardiff, call Bristol VTS on CH12 as you enter the river and they will let the Dock Master at Bristol know you are coming.
Call "Dock Master" on CH14 as you come under the Clifton suspension bridge and he will advise you on locking in.

Tell him its your first time and they will look after you.

Good Luck, PM me if you need any more info!

Allan

Visit site
Something I found out on Monday of this week. Ships heading for Portbury docks on a rising tide go close in and pass the pier before turning to port, stemming the tide before entering the dock entrance. If you are expecting it there is no problem. It came as a surprise to me.
Allan

Gwylan

Visit site
Damo always wins! He spends his nights designing ever more outrageous hats for his outings.

And there seems to be some subject drift going on here.

graham

Visit site
Just to get the thread back on track heres a picv from a hat fest we had a few weeks ago.

002-4.jpg

And another old favourite from my collection.

002-5.jpg