New engine - what about this?

sailorman

Visit site
Hi Simon

If I remember well enough your new acquisition will probably have a 'Thorneycroft' engine in her, get it out and get it reconditioned, ask around there will be someone local that can be recommended as it is not rocket science and rebuilt it will go for years.

Or ask around for a part exchange for the same, many yards do this.

Mike

some "Thorneycroft" engines were Mitsubishi based & marinised

Colvic Watson

Visit site
It's a Leyland based Thornycroft 230. My concern is we spend thousands getting it fixed up and it adds nothing to value. Spend just a few thousand more and we add many thousands to the value. And an engine that needs a rebuild must have a big problem to start with.

Tranona

Visit site
It's a Leyland based Thornycroft 230. My concern is we spend thousands getting it fixed up and it adds nothing to value. Spend just a few thousand more and we add many thousands to the value. And an engine that needs a rebuild must have a big problem to start with.

What is wrong with your current engine? They do have a reputation for being easy to renovate, although yu do still end up with an obsolete engine.

However, a new engine adds very little value to an old boat - nowhere near what it costs to instal. People expect a boat to have a functional engine. Not sure an unknown brand will add anything at all. If you take the long term view it is worth spending the money on the best installation you can afford. Amortised over 10 years the extra cost is small and you will find a boat fitted with a well known brand of engine much easier to sell if you have to.

sandeel

Visit site
engine

the chinese engine will likely not be used only as a marinized boat engine, it will no doubt be based on a a bog standard diesel powering some other pieces of plant, it might be worth trying to research the base engine's performance and durability. I would personally go for it, chinese engineering is frightenly good now.Unfortunately for the rest of the world.

Boo2

Visit site

I'm in the same position and I've got to add a +1 to that.

My concerns are that the engine I have (Thornycroft 90) had 4k spent on it 10 years ago and now still has a few problems. Although it might not cost me much to have done, if I do that then need her lifted again to have a replacement in the near future it might be £2-300 just for the lift as well as whatever I spend on the T. 90. Weighing against is the desire to keep the £7-8k as a warchest...

Boo2

ghostlymoron

Visit site
What is wrong with your current engine? They do have a reputation for being easy to renovate, although yu do still end up with an obsolete engine.

However, a new engine adds very little value to an old boat - nowhere near what it costs to instal. People expect a boat to have a functional engine. Not sure an unknown brand will add anything at all. If you take the long term view it is worth spending the money on the best installation you can afford. Amortised over 10 years the extra cost is small and you will find a boat fitted with a well known brand of engine much easier to sell if you have to.

When I bought my boat, the fact that it had a nearly new engine was a major factor. I agree that putting a new engine in a £15k boat will not make it worth £20k BUT it will make it more likely to sell.

prv

Visit site
need her lifted again to have a replacement

Would you need to lift the boat out to replace the engine? We took KS's engine out and put it back in in the yard before our first launch, but I can't think of any reason we couldn't have done it alongside a pontoon.

Pete

sarabande

Visit site
I'd be inclined to look very carefully at getting the present engine refurbished.

Advantages:
simple set up, no need for changes to fuel or coolant lines, or exhaust system
a well-known engine with lots of easily accessible filters etc
all engine bed details will fit exactly
ditto gearbox and shaft details
ditto engine controls and instrumentation

You then have a virtually new UK engine, nicely painted and shiny, which is consonant with the boat. Major selling point in 10 years perhaps ? :)

With a bit of searching, you might be able to turn the refurbishing round in say 10 days including lift out and re-install (the time for this last process will be much shorter than for a new 'foreign' engine.)

Tranona

Visit site
Interesting point. I know Beta make a fuss about being able to match existing mounting points exactly. Doesn't look like the unbranded Chinese motor does the same. Maybe the OP would need to fit new bearers, as well as - maybe - a new or fettled propshaft.

That is one of Beta's selling points in that they have enough experience of replacing popular old engines to design brackets to adapt. However, not a particularly difficult job for an experienced engineer to do as all the dimensions available are on the installation drawings. I have re-fabricated my beds twiceto suit new engines.

The big difference with BMC engines and modern engines is the width of the feet - new engines have a much narrower footprint and some installations may need new beds because the old ones are too far apart - even with additional brackets.

The key datum point on re-engine jobs is the location and angle of the shaft because that normally cannot be changed. Normal to make a fully dimensioned mock up of the engine out of MDF and a wooden dowel for a shaft and build mountings around that. Done it twice with a 1GM in two boats. First one (mine) was fairly easy but second when it was transplanted into a GK 24 less easy because the beds for the original engine were assymetric to the centre line of the shaft!

Visit site
M-Power marine engines

Hello to everyone that has been on this thread regarding the M-Power range of diesel engines. I have just come across this and thought, as the supplier of these engines ought to answer some/all of the queries/worries regarding our products.

Our new website www.marine-power-solutions.com should answer some queries.

I have answered the queries in no particular order and would love to elaborate to anyone that is interested in more information.

Marine Power Solutions are the sole supplier of M-Power marine engines into Europe. We have spent lots of time to find the right engine at the right price. The engines are built on proven designs and are of exceptional quality.

My name is Andrew Knight, I am the owner of Marine Power Solutions and I have been involved in the marine industry for many years, our family owned a boat building company and I have been rebuilding and re-fitting boats for 25+ years.

In the last year we have sold over 30 engines and we have only had positive feedback. Our website will soon have case studies and comments. These will hopefully help boaters in their decision as to how much money they want to spend on the purchase of a new engine.

Beta's engine mounts are a joke, Beta charge exorbitant prices for a job that any engineer who would be more than happy to fabricate for half the price, these very simple mounts, if you need them are very easy to manufacture.

It is very true that our engines are very in-expensive, but not at the expense of quality. Time will show that these engines are built with the same quality as our competition. In some cases our competition is over 50% more expensive, this is due to quantity, labour costs, the crazy over-pricing of marine products and very low margins (we don't have fancy offices, just a warehouse).

Spares for most parts are held in our warehouse in Dorset and can be sent out 'next day' if required. The consumable parts are generic and available from most suppliers, but our prices are very low and service is very high.

Marine Power solutions stock these engines and these are available for viewing if required.

We would be more than happy for any boating magazine to have one or more of our engines for testing. We are confident that a glowing report would come.

With regard buying 2nd hand... You have no idea what the quality of the engine is. Why is the engine being sold..... probably because its knackered!! People who say it is re-conditioned, what is that - Paint job, filters....... I think not. If you are looking to buy 2nd hand please check very carefully. Our engines are new and have a warranty.

We started using e-bay as a marketing tool and have found that to get over 20,000 page views this was a very wise choice. It has not been a 'budget' way to market, only common sense!!!

I hope that I have answered your queries, but if you need further clarification please contact me direct or through this portal. We have nothing to hide, we have a great product at the right price, a rare pairing in the marine industry!!!

Please remember to go to www.marine-power-solutions.com for more information.

Many thanks

Andrew