New Computers

Apetts

Visit site
I have just bought a new laptop computer, which I hoped to use with chart plotting software BUT it seems that the computer is too modern for available software. All plotting software seems to require the use of a serial port and my new machine, like many others, only has USB. So I bought a USB to Serial converter thinking, and being assured that, it would do the trick. No such luck! The laptop has a built in modem, which resides on COM 3 and the infrared device lives on COM 4,so my USB converter has taken up residence on what seems to be a fictitious port COM 5. Non of my serial devices will link to this port and no one seems to be able to suggest that the USB can be moved to the free COM 1. Motto, beware if you are thinking of buying a laptop for you boat!

jfkal

Visit site
Do not give up yet. Which WINDOWS version are you running?
Typically you can change the driver settings either of the USB device or move one of the others to a different COM port. I got it working under Windows 2000. If you run Windows ME, flush it down the toilet and upgrade its absolutely worthless. I b**ch to use and unstable like hell.

jtwebb

Visit site
I had not realised that laptops now came without any serial port for using with a mouse for example. I use a nearly new Toshiba Satellite Pro with a USB mouse and the connection to the NMEA/Seatalk converter on the COM1 port which was meant to be used for a mouse.

J Webb

G

Re: Me can work

I have been using ME on a desk top since last sept and it is running fine. Did initially have problems but these where down to using the wrong drivers. You need to change many of your hardware drivers if changing from win 98 so if anyone else is having problems with stability try logging onto the Microsoft windows update site which check configuration or checking driver update sites.

Roly, Voya Con Dios, Glasson, Lancaster http://www.voya.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk//MW1/Intropage.htm

jfkal

Visit site
Windows 98 should be fine. Go to Settings then System locate the driver for your USB serial device and change the COM port in the driver settings to one which does not clash with the others and is accepted by the software.

Good luck