New Computers

Apetts

Visit site
I have just bought a new laptop computer, which I hoped to use with chart plotting software BUT it seems that the computer is too modern for available software. All plotting software seems to require the use of a serial port and my new machine, like many others, only has USB. So I bought a USB to Serial converter thinking, and being assured that, it would do the trick. No such luck! The laptop has a built in modem, which resides on COM 3 and the infrared device lives on COM 4,so my USB converter has taken up residence on what seems to be a fictitious port COM 5. Non of my serial devices will link to this port and no one seems to be able to suggest that the USB can be moved to the free COM 1. Motto, beware if you are thinking of buying a laptop for you boat!

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
Also be aware that Laptops are not really designed to deal with the marine environment and may suffer premature disk failure, will impose quite heavy demands on you battery etc. Okay for getting you emails in harbour but although I hate to say it but you are better off with designed for purpose devices when under way. And of course you should be able to navigate handraulically for when it all goes wrong.

Chris Stannard

Giles

Visit site
Use the \'Mode\' Command

Mode lpt1:=com1:

Mode /? for help using the command

Not sure that it will work the other way.

I have EXACTLY the same problem re USB to serial. that was 50 quid well spent- NOT

Giles

Visit site
Change USB to COM1

On Win2000 (if you have ME you are on your own!) - If your USB to Serial converter is sitting on COM5 it can be changed to COM1 by going into 'Device Manager' finding the USB to Serial converter
right click and select properties.
Port Settings Tab - click Advanced
near the bottom you should see a select box that allows you to change the port to Com1

This however made no diference on my laptop. If it works for you please let me know- I might just have a dud adaptor.

abraxas

Visit site
I've just splashed out on a new Packard Bell computer that is a 15" TFT screen with the guts of a laptop screwed to the back. The plan is to mount it to a bulkhead behind the chart table and use it for charting (Euronav SeaPro) and an entertainment centre. Good value at £800. I was faced with the same port problem of two USB's but no serial port and have purchased a Belkin hub with a serial port in the hope that the software will find it. I'm off to the boat this weekend to fit the new machine and connect the GPS; your mail has just raised a few doubts.....

New installment next week.

Apetts

Visit site
Hope you manage to get things working. I have sent the ATEN converter back and went to look at the Belkin today. The sales chap was doubtful of the Belkin working, similar problems he thought, but he would not let me try it - I took the laptop and GPS to the store. At £60 I am not running the risk. Let me know if you get things working.
Dood luck
Adrian

abraxas

Visit site
Reporting back as promised. Connected the GPS to the serial port on the Belkin hub and the SeaPro software found it first time without me needing to fiddle. must say the SeaPro is pretty good at most things but has a few quirks (tide info is not so good).

Good luck with your set up.

Gareth Jones