New Chandlery in Gib.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
At last, a bit of competition for Sheppards!

By Marina Bay (Ocean Village). Under the apartment blocks (Watergardens).

Look for the Hire U shop, now back half of shop has a good general range of marine hardware, prices seem good in comparison to other local source.

Good for other common tools plus an absolute goldmine of information in where to get things repaired in Gib.

CHKIWI

Visit site
Hi have you got the name of the new chandlery or contact info so as I can email the for prices thanks ( its about time they have some competition )
Colin

CHKIWI

Visit site
Hi
I am hoping you may be able to offer some advise to us. We purchased a yacht late last year. She is currently in a marina at Puerto de La Duquesa (approximately an hour by road south of Malaga). We spent 6 weeks there in Sept/Oct last year. We are returning late May to start our adventures in the Mediterranean. This year our basic plan is to sail up the coast from Duquesa making our way to Sant Carles Marina by the way of Balearic Islands. We have around 3 months in which to do this. I have the Imray Cruising Guides and one on the Straits of Gibraltar. We are from New Zealand. This will be the first time we have sailed in the Med and any input would be greatly appreciated. Are there any more good guides that you think we should get or any club that we should join that would be of benefit to cruising.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts. We look forward to hearing from you
Cheers Colin

Steve Clayton

www.aloeland.co.uk
CHKIWI: you won't need the Gib Almanac if you are heading north from your base:

Pick up all the Spanish salvamentos (safety) documents and understand the content; make sure you have all the phone numbers for the Spanish search and rescue locations. Call in at Almerimar - it's a good location for fixing any issues with the boat; stocking up on bits you might need and picking the brains of the liveaboard community.

If you are going to the Balearics in the summer time then be prepared to pay a lot ; and I do mean a lot!

You don't say what flag the boat is under; nevertheless; note the type and serial numbers of all the kit on the boat so you can provide this information if required when you pitch up in a marina; don't radio up to ask a marina for a berth as they are likely to say "full so go away"- just arrive on the fuel pontoon.

Beware the Med - it is not a pussycat; seas can be large and the wind can go up to 40knts in seconds ; especially in the afternoon.

Insurance - make sure you have a copy in Spanish

A lot of the marinas won't charge you for a short (2-3 hour) stay at lunchtime; especially if you use their onsite restaurants, etc

Bimini - you will need one

and forum etiquette; would be better to start your own thread than piggy-back onto another :)

Last edited:

CHKIWI

Visit site
Thanks Steve have started own thread sorry about that didnt know
Phone numbers for the Spanish search and rescue where do I get them?
Can I buy you a beer when we are in Gib and get all the low down from you?
Cheers
Colin