new boat

G

thinking of buying a sunseeker comargue 46 whith 550 detroit engines anybody got experience whith them?

<hr width=100% size=1>

david_steward

Visit site
Plenty of people say some unkind things about the Detroit diesels., they are a bit strange being 2 strokes. I have no personal experience of them but you can find out all you would need to know on a US site.

www.boatdiesel.com

They have a large forum section with many knowledgable users.

The 46 Carmargue was a popular boat and we looked at it seriously but went for a similar Princess instead. The Sunseeker seemed much more dated by comparison and I didn't fancy the stern cabin arrangement at all.

The Carmargue we looked at was in Brighton and was an absolute disgrace. The Broker should have hung his head in shame at showing it to us in its stinking rotten condition.

Good Luck.

<hr width=100% size=1>We don't want a sports cruiser, totally impractical. Err ok then.

Dave S

NorthernWave

Visit site
Very nice, looked at one myself, very good value for what you get. The only thought I would have is research the engines as I'm not sure how good those engines are for parts etc.

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>Logged Sea Miles wanted for masters. Send PM if your on south coast and want skipper or crew.

tcm

Visit site
There have been no horor stories which i can recall on this forum. 1100hp must mean that the engines aren't very stressed. Let a surveyor judge the mechanicals, whilst you ensure that you are happy with overall condition and make sure that it'll do all you want - inlcuding sleeping enough people incl any mates who need to come along/be shown off at.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Renegade_Master

Visit site
dont like the sound of two stroke diesels (in more ways then one) but ten I'm no mechanic

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.suncoastmarine.co.uk>Sun Coast Sea School & Charter</A>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Some of the lifeboats had them, don't expect the RNLI would have had them if not ok, but know nuthin more than that.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tr7v8

Visit site
Detroit Diesels used in massive ammount of US trucks, USA Truckers get wet knickers at the sound of them. Bloody noisy and difficult to silence (just like 2 stroke Mobike) because they have a power stroke every revolution unlike 4 strokes where its every other rev.
Have to be supercharged cos thats how they work and that's where these stonking great superchargers you see on Dragsters come from. Built like brick sheds and reliable despite high power outputs.
Latter ones have DDEC controls Detroit Diesel Electronic Controls and are quite sophsticated. I think they have a diesel injection pump per cylinder rather than one for the whole engine.

I think that's exhausted the brain cell for the minute!

Jim
------

<hr width=100% size=1>

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Now joined with MTU...

...since parent merger. There will eventually be DD engines badged MTU in next year or so for leisure industry (and some MTUs badged DD in other industries.

The DD two-strokes hit great popularity for a fairly short while in the late 1980s/early 1990s as manufacturers started to look for higher horsepowers and low weight in a small package. The DD 550 was especially popular, from memory and DDEC was one of the first leisure marin electronic management systems out there.

Two main downsides are indeed noise -- and fuel economy. Some boatowners got quite badly caught out in the early days of these engines appearing because they expected four-stroke diesel consumption and got, I believe, quite a bit worse than that.

I've not got any fuel data to hand right now but would certainly be a little cautious with any two-stroke diesel boat regarding safe range until a couple of runs to check.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Observer

Visit site
Take a look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.yachtsurvey.com/comparing_diesel_types.htm>http://www.yachtsurvey.com/comparing_diesel_types.htm</A>.

The technical stuff is a bit over my head so if you care to provide a synopsis for all of us....

<hr width=100% size=1>

camargue

Visit site
I looked at one before i brought the Camargue 55. The owner offered us a sea trial from Guernsey to Portsmouth, as he needed a hand to bring it back. This to had 550hp detroits. It is one of the loudest boats that i have ever been on!! We had to shout to each other to be heard, and could not hear the radio, even on the speaker at full volume. That was one of the main reasons we didn't buy it. I don't know whether it was just this boat, or on all 46's, but it can not have been well sound proofed, and the engines were very close to the cockpit floor from underneath. It was very nice inside though, and an incredibly good sea boat. Sunseekers say it was one of their best ever hulls.

they also used detroit diesels(760hp) in most of the Camargue 55's 1993-c.1997, so they have got to be reaasonably good. Apparently the electronics get mucked up a bit on them(some have clever readings-fuel consumption/m.p.g e.t.c). Not sure if the 46 have the electronic bit- think so

hope this helps, good luck!!

<hr width=100% size=1>