New Antifoul

steveej

Visit site
Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Any problems with changing the antifoul on a boat to a different colour? The boat is currently out of the water and will shortly be going back in for a few months until early next year, so it makes sense to put a quick coat of antifouling on.

I was originally going to use 'Cruiser Uno' as I believe this only needs one coat.

It is currently red, but I was thinking of changing to blue. It is an old boat with a lot of old antifoul so I may get it sand blasted in the new year which I presume will change it back to white and let me do whatever I want with it then.

Opinions?

Tranona

Visit site
No problem overcoating with a compatible antifoul, although you may find just one coat of a new colour may not cover the old colour completely.

maby

Visit site
when you say compatible, do you mean self eroding versus hard?

That is included in the considerations, but it goes further than that. Most manufacturers will publish compatibility data for their products - check the web site for the product you are considering and look for a data sheet. There are an enormous number of different antifouling types around and some simply do not stick well on top of others. The data sheet should tell you and give advice on how to prepare a surface that has previously been coated with something that is not compatible.