Need your advice - Rusty Volvo Part2

Scubadoo

Visit site
Hi All,

I need your advice, you may remember my post regarding Rusty Volvo i.e. Rusty Oil Sump. To date my local Volvo dealer engineer has been down to my boat. He has seen a tide mark around the bilge and given the opinion that the engine has been sitting in water and therefore they doubt Volvo will cover this under warranty. However I know that the engine has not sat in water and I keep my bilge dry as possible.

I ask the dealer, that even if the engine did sit in water it shouldn’t rust, his answer was they are not supposed to get wet!

Bear in mind that Volvo themselves have not been involved yet, and it is only the opinion of the dealer who has yet to talk to Volvo. But if Volvo have the same opinion what course of action should I take.

Appreciate any advice you can give me.

RM.

jfm

Visit site
Re: you need better expl for tide mark IMHO

Sounds dodgy, I mean I can see their POV. If there's been no water in bilge, how come tide mark?

Scubadoo

Visit site
Re: you need better expl for tide mark IMHO

There has been water in the bilge - when the raw water filter was leaking which was fixed by Sealine, but that would have been for less than a day i.e. cleaned bilge out after boat trip until fixed. Other times would be when I clean the bilge with a bucket of fresh water (once a year) and pumped out . But every time the bilge is dried out, no water is left for the engine to sit in.

RM.

BarryH

Visit site
Shed some light....Maybe

I had exactley the same thing, but it was with the petrol unit in my boat. I had repainted the block after an engine overhaul that I carried out. Once i had refitted the engine and slipped back into the water, after a couple of weeks i had a tide mark but the rest of the Bilge was as clean as a wistle not a drop of water anywhere.

It wasnt until i got to the boat early one sunday morning that i found out what it was and lo and behold, condensation! The level of which matched exactly with the oil level in the sump. Your tide mark maybe the same thing or not, but as far as volvo saying they shouldnt get wet does that exclude condensation. They might class that as an act of god!!!

G

Get the tide marks off, tell sealine about it, if still no joy then get Volvo involved, engines ive seen recently have rust all over them,now they have not been sunk, its down to the poor paint process in my book.

Paul js

G

Re: getting rid of tide mark

a big brush and bilge cleaner. Some mat black paint. Some nice sheets of stick-on sound deadening.

G

If there are no major leaks then it can only be condensation .
Some form of dehumidifier is needed .
It is a fault on some painted blocks that they tend to condensate ,maybe letting the engine completely cool down after running may help reduce the amount of condensation .
Example
I used my diesel garden tractor then put it straight in it's shed ,the engine still hot .
Went and opened the door two days later and the engine was soaking wet !!
a couple hours of fresh air cured it.
you cant beat fresh air in an engine area it surely must be the only way to counter act this
Cheers
Mick

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Ye. Take yer engines out and stick them on the pontoon for an hour or two to dry!! That should do the trick.

Must be condensatoin though from what we've heard.
Dont know what you do about it though.
Just blame Volvo they deserve some stick.

Haydn