Need advice on Tidal Thames

GAJ52

Visit site
I'm thinking on 'dipping my toes' so to speak on the Tidal Thames.

There seems plenty of information on the London Port Authority site regarding navigation, speed limits, bridge markings etc. My main concern is when the tide goes out, I have a boat with approximately 1.2 mtrs draft. Are there any serious navigation problems at low tide from say Teddington to Wandsworth bridge ?

Glen

JorgeinLondon

Visit site
Below Richmond lock and Syon Reach can be a bit hairy at times at low tide. Once you get to Kew Bridge its all fine. Sometimes you get underwater obstructions fairly near the middle of the fairway which can be a bit off putting. My 0.6m draft boat hit something this weekend near Isleworth, just past the island. Depth gage was saying it was 1.9m then suddenly a clunk. Also the rowers tend to try and hog the water and push you to one side which can get you aground. This was at absolute low tide mind. There's a big drop so if you're in the middle of the Ebb you should be fine.

miket

Visit site
Seriously suggest you do not try and navigate above Hammersmith Bridge at Low water! There is a channel used by professionals but even though I think I know where it is I would not dream of traversing Richmond (heading down) until 1 hour before the Richmond sluices go up, which is 2 hours before high water.
Also note that the tidal curve for this stretch is not even.
Look in your almanac.

Flynnbarr

Visit site
Above advice from miket is good.
I wouldn't go anywhere near the place at low water.I mangled a prop and shaft outside Harrods Depository on a falling tide mid channel,just unlucky I guess,boat I was with hit nothing! I draw similar to OP.
Go at high water Richmond,aim to get back high water Richmond is a very general rule of thumb,plenty of water underneath you and you will burn less fuel using the tide.

GAJ52

Visit site
Many thanks for the very good advice.

Is there an area that is ok to stay during low tide conditions while waiting for the tide to rise again so I can get back through Richmond ?

PeterBoater

Visit site
HW or thereabouts in the area downstream of Richmond is good advice but beware of HW or thereabouts under Hammersmith Bridge; the air draught there is poor.

GAJ52

Visit site
PeterBoater, many thanks for taking the time to answer my question, unfortunately I don't really understand your answer. Is HW supposed to be High Water, as my question relates to safe areas on the tidal Thames at low tides while waiting for the tide to rise again.

Also, apart from a few Marinas are there any public mooring facilities on the tidal Thames, I appreciate they wont be like the non-tidal stretch but are there any floating 'public' jetties ?

Sorry last question, are there any restrictions on anchoring away from the main navigation channel ?

GAJ52

Visit site
The more I read the answers I'm getting is doesn't seem so appealing now to venture onto the tidal Thames, appears fraught with all sorts of obstacles for the average pleasure boater !!

Flynnbarr

Visit site
What exactly do you want to do?
Chiswick Pier,visitor mooring outside Chelsea Harbour,Imperial Wharf,I have hung off rubbish barges waiting for the tide when I've been early,just throw a rope over a bollard,never been told to move.
Maybe go with someone else if it's your first time or just go downstream until the tides turns and then trundle back with it.Would be a long day.
Take a camera it's great:)

Freeman30

Visit site
The more I read the answers I'm getting is doesn't seem so appealing now to venture onto the tidal Thames, appears fraught with all sorts of obstacles for the average pleasure boater !!

No, we have done the trip many time, but it does need careful planning.

You can leave Richmond lock at low tide or as soon as they let you out and punch the tide to get to St Kats for their opening window. Otherwise stop over at Chiswick pier or Imperial wharf.
The Limehouse opening windows is longer and makes it easier.
No problem coming upstream as the tide at Richmond is and hour later than Tower bridge.

Give it a go it is very different.

miket

Visit site
Sorry Freeman30, but I must disagree.
Below Richmond at low water is not at all nice and at Springs I suggest would be extremely difficult, if at all possible, especially for a boat drawing 1.2 metres.
This gentleman is clearly not experienced and could be totally put off if he has a bad experience.

JorgeinLondon

Visit site

Tidal Thames is lovely and very interesting but you MUST PLAN!. You cannot go into it with your eyes closed and expect everything to be all right. PLAN PLAN PLAN! and you'll have a great time...

No Regrets

Visit site
Or: Join one of the many Cruiser clubs along the Thames and go with them.

The Club committee and Flag officers plan for all boats in a cruise, and normally enjoy some decent event at the final destination.

You'll also make plenty of new friends...

Thallac

Visit site
Hi,

I have a boat on the tidal Thames at Kew. I draw 1m, and would not be put off by other people's comments.

As a rule of thumb do not enter the tideway between Chiswick bridge and Richmond 3 hours before low tide and you will be okay.

The lock keeper at Richmond will make sure that you are okay before going out.

Give it a go it is great fun.

Tim

oldgit

Visit site
My boat draws around 1m but do have a nice solid keel to protect propellers. When RCC club trips to the Thames are arranged,really do prefer to be ahead of the curve rather than behind,also some of our club boats do not have a lot of removeable gear to lower in order to clear Hammersmith Bridge.Basically we frequently arrive early.......................
The normal procedure is then to simply go up with the tide,"feeling" your way slowly up the channel carried by the flood tide. Personally am happy with a metre or two of water,however some club members are distinctly uncomfortable with this lack of depth due exposed sterngear etc.
My suggestion would be go out as soon as the lockie at Richmond will let you and perhaps over night in the marina of your choice,should you wish to return same day,simply start your return journey after the tide has turned givng you sufficient water under your keel.
Things are lot simpler if you have some sort of keel.
If your are planning this as a winter/autumn adventure,ensure you have plenty of daylight to finish the trip.
It more than enough fun to be doing this for the first time without the added pressure of watching the daylight disappear and temperatures dropping fast.