NE Atlantic Passage planning

Visit site
I have to say my view was the same as your sailing around the Med , no need of a water maker, but since I build and fitted mine , I have a very different point of view.....
I agree, but you may not have the space!!

Have you also considered extra batteries or solar and an external alternator regulator? Radar is good for seeing storm clouds and for ships whose AIS don't work.

The ARC suggest allow 12-18 months before you sail to get to know how it works and how to keep it working.

Tim 500

Visit site
Thank you all.
Just retired, so at last have time to do some longer cruises.
We have a reasonable, but not endless, budget.
Our boat is a Scanmar 33 which is strong, roomy and fast even if a little small by today’s standards. I have owned her for 15 years and in that time there are not many parts that I have not taken apart, and put back together again!
Current plan is leave east coast May, sail to Plymouth for a few days with daughter and family, then look for weather window to head direct to LaCoruna.
Heard some good things about the Atlantic coast of Portugal, so plan to spend some time there before heading for canaries where hope to overwinter, and fly home for few weeks.
Any thoughts any of you have concerning any aspects of above welcolme. Particularly interested in weather, good places to stop, good marinas to over winter, red diesel in Spain!, must have equipment etc.etc.

Tim

temptress

gbr195t.com
Unless you want to see something and have fun along the way ;)
Also the year has winters in Europe, not so bad south of St Vincent but a lot of the year will be out of bounds unless you want to risk getting severely hammered. I'd certainly be twitchy about a really early Biscay and leaving Azores much past September. Suddenly your year is more like 6 months.

Horses for courses. I've sailed cross Biscay in one director or th e other every month of the year...keep an eye on the weather and you can have a calm crossing in December or get caught with a F10 in August. My worst crossing was a Santander to Portsmouth delivery in a 90 foot ketch in August.

GHA

Visit site
Horses for courses. I've sailed cross Biscay in one director or th e other every month of the year...keep an eye on the weather and you can have a calm crossing in December or get caught with a F10 in August. My worst crossing was a Santander to Portsmouth delivery in a 90 foot ketch in August.

Waiting patiently for a 3 day weather window to get across biscay is one thing, would you really be happy leaving the Azores in December on a 33'er?

No old bold sailors and all that.. ;)

Get the boat round St Vincent is best idea :cool: