Navtex on the Portugese Coast

madian2

Visit site
We are sailing down the Portugese Coast and haven't picked up any Spanish or Portugese navtex transmissions since leaving La Coruna in June.

We still pick up the occasional message from Niton but we've picked nothing up from La Coruna, Monsanto or Tarifa.

We have a Nav6 and just wondered if this was other people's experience of this coastline or whether we have developed a fault with the Navtex?

Thanks for any help.

Ian and Jackie

Yacht Rivalady - www.rivalady.wordpress.com

Heckler

Visit site
We are sailing down the Portugese Coast and haven't picked up any Spanish or Portugese navtex transmissions since leaving La Coruna in June.

We still pick up the occasional message from Niton but we've picked nothing up from La Coruna, Monsanto or Tarifa.

We have a Nav6 and just wondered if this was other people's experience of this coastline or whether we have developed a fault with the Navtex?

Thanks for any help.

Ian and Jackie

Have the same issue here in Faro and now in Albufeira. Worked great across Biscay and around La Coruna. As soon as we came around the corner, zilch, nada, nothing since then. All stations and all messages switched on. Ours is a NASA Navtex Pro
S

Heckler

Visit site
Just had ours on for 24 hrs, nothing received.
Was curious so switched mine on last night, switched all stations on again and all messages. This afternoon got GA24 and GA21 bit garbled. So Monsanto is just about getting to us here in Albufeira with advisories now!
S

Heckler

Visit site

Thanks for any help.

Ian and Jackie

Now in Ferragudo opp Portimao, anchored. Got EA as well as G last night, loud and clear. I suspect that masts and marinas interfere with the MW transmissions. Interestingly the EA messages are referring to SW england!
S

Heckler

Visit site
Now in Ferragudo opp Portimao, anchored. Got EA as well as G last night, loud and clear. I suspect that masts and marinas interfere with the MW transmissions. Interestingly the EA messages are referring to SW england!
S
Oops! uodate, my Nasa is 518kz so I am actually picking up Tarifa G and Niton E, so that explains the SW Engkand stuff!
S

Heckler

Visit site
I sometimes switch mine on in the marina, but over 4 years have only picked up a few messages and often data missing.

M
Back in Albufeira, getting Tarifa loud and clear now. I found that the antenna plug in the back wasnt going all the way in, some judicious paring of the plastic sorted that! So, to the OP, seems as if Tarifa is coming in loud and clear here!
S