Navtex kaput!

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
......... no problem with all the other instruments ... first thing to try? - IIRC there's a rechargeable battery inside - maybe this needs replacing? Dunno! Don't want to have to call the man if it's simple!

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Completely blank. Sorry haven't got the type /model number to hand ... usual screen with 4 buttons along the bottom ... I remember instructions that if it doesn't go then press all 4 buttons together for 10 seconds - tried that. I should probably wait till I get on the boat and find more info before asking questions!

prv

Visit site
Manufacturer then? A better description? You must admit it's a bit hard to diagnose if you don't tell anyone what machine you're talking about.

With 4 buttons along the bottom I'd hazard a guess at a NASA Pro, but could be anything really.

Pete

Playtime

Visit site
Not sure which unit that is.

If there is a replaceable back-up battery that's gone flat, it shouldn't stop the whole thing from working. You would normally just lose the settings (stations/messages) that you last set-up, so I don't think that is the problem.

The obvious first check is the fuse and power supply to the back of the unit, then the on/off switch (but that may mean opening the case, which may not be easy). If power seems OK then it is probably the electronics, at which point you either call a man or start looking on eBay. :(

Edit: It might just be the display. If it is the NASA unit there is a display contrast control on the back (of some of their models). Try turning that both ways.

Last edited:

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Manufacturer then? A better description? You must admit it's a bit hard to diagnose if you don't tell anyone what machine you're talking about.

With 4 buttons along the bottom I'd hazard a guess at a NASA Pro, but could be anything really.

Pete

Yes, NASA Pro ... thanks for reminding me ... like I said, I should have asked after I'd been on the boat! Only recently got the boat and the Navtex hasn't been a priority.

colvic987

Visit site
The clipper navtex has the four button along the bottom of the unit, the pro has the buttons along the side. The manual below might give you some pointers to operate, but unable to find clipper one

http://www.nasamarine.com/products.php?cat=17

If you havent got a manual here is one, troubleshooting page 7

http://www.nasamarine.com/pdfs/Navtex Pro.pdf

The internal battery can go flat if not used frequently, leave the unit on for at least 40 hours on ships batteries and it should charge up,(check fuse if nothing has happened) if that doesnt make any difference, then maybe check the active aerial is receiving, these tend to get wet and corrode internally. spares can be bought from nasa marine.

leave the unit on when you leave the boat as you will only get the transmission on the times which its sent out, if you think that you will have a list of messages when you switch it on as a upload, the system doesnt work like that, it starts receiving at the time of transmission, it will receive and save message in real time. if you miss the transmission you will have to wait for the next transmission, so can be very frustrating with the wait for next message.

Last edited:

Guardamar

www.randpsystems.co.uk
Navtex pro

I have one that also went kaput after being left unused for 3 months. In my case there was a single line across the screen, and if I left the set turned on for 2 days it eventually started working, though when turned off it instantly failed again. Like others, I assumed it was a bettery, but NASA Marine reckoned it was a failure of the LCD module. They offered to fix it, but I need to get the unit back to them, and the boat is in Spain and I'm in UK!

In the past Nasa Marine have been good on repair of products, quick turnround and comparativey cheap, so its probably worth at least an e-mail or phone call to them. The down side is their products seem to need a bit more repair than some.

TiggerToo

Visit site
Nasa

...In the past Nasa Marine have been good on repair of products, quick turnround and comparativey cheap,.....The down side is their products seem to need a bit more repair than some.

yes and yes to both, havs been my experience

wizard

Visit site
I have one that also went kaput after being left unused for 3 months. In my case there was a single line across the screen, and if I left the set turned on for 2 days it eventually started working, though when turned off it instantly failed again. Like others, I assumed it was a bettery, but NASA Marine reckoned it was a failure of the LCD module. They offered to fix it, but I need to get the unit back to them, and the boat is in Spain and I'm in UK!

In the past Nasa Marine have been good on repair of products, quick turnround and comparativey cheap, so its probably worth at least an e-mail or phone call to them. The down side is their products seem to need a bit more repair than some.

Mine has just been sent back to NASA for that very reason a duff LCD screen ,quoted £34+vat +carriage to fix(at cost price)

colvic987

Visit site

I have found the opposite to my nasa equipment, a depth, gps and navtex, have all lasted 10 years now, with no problem whatsoever, a bm1 has been added this year, and hoping i get the same sort of service from it.

billcowan

Visit site
My navtex went blank after a dose of overvoltage.

I had rather old domestic batteries and a bad connection on the big multi way plug on the 'smart charger' where it goes into the wiring loume.

Navtex gave me a service replacement for about £50 they said that the voltage must have exceeded 16V long enough to fry their protection circuit. but nothing else seamed to have minded.

a further waste of money of course, as navtex are **** most places and useless in Greece.
just a jumble letters, you would get a better forcast by examining chickens entrails.

PS a good spray with car battery terminal stuff, one that etches, followed by one that protects did the trick, oh and new domestic batteries.

Elemental

Visit site
Mine has just been sent back to NASA for that very reason a duff LCD screen ,quoted £34+vat +carriage to fix(at cost price)

My screen went the same way too. Nasa have always been very quick and reasonable with their repairs for me. I also managed to smash the antenna mount and they replaced it foc.