Navtex Antenna for ICS Nav6+

capricorn

Visit site
I've just acquired a used ICS Nav6 plus reciever without the antenna for what I think was a great price.

I now need to source an antenna. I haven't approaced ICS yet for a price of the active antenna that they sell with the Nav6+ but I imagine it won't be cheap.

Does anyone know if I can use a non ICS sourced aerial with this unit.

A quick snoop around the web seems to indicate that I can get a dual frequency antenna from Cactus Nav for around £100.

Does anyone know what my options are for connecting a non ICS sourced aerial with this unit ?

Thanks in advance !

<hr width=100% size=1>

SpottedBlue

Visit site
I think that what you have bought will turn out to be not such a good buy after all.
The actual Navtex receiver circuitry is within the antenna, the display is just that.

It would be of use as a repeater display for a user on a Nav6+ but not for much else without the antenna

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
Not sure you are correct IMHO. The signal from the antenna is fed via coax to the display, which means it's probably RF or demodulated analogue. This would suggest the Navtex decoder circuit is in the display, which is the logical place to put it since it requires digital signal processing and the display is fitted with such a processor to run the screen and NMEA decode etc.

<hr width=100% size=1>

SpottedBlue

Visit site
No thats not right either. The Nav6+ antenna is not fed by coax, if that were so then you would be right. However the feed from that device is multicore cable - not sure how many off hand but probably 8 or 9 cores.

<hr width=100% size=1>

SpottedBlue

Visit site
Re: Navtex Antenna for ICS Nav6

Could you share the part number with us - would be useful info for the future in case of failure

<hr width=100% size=1>

capricorn

Visit site

I ordered it over the phone by description so don't have the part number to hand.

I'll PM you with it when it arrives (couple of weeks).

<hr width=100% size=1>

Oldhand

Visit site
An ICS Nav 6+ will work with any active antenna which covers the Navtex frequencies. You do not need a specific ICS antenna. Any decent marine electronics dealer willbe able to supply you with a wideband active whip, usually with the amplifier designed to be mounted below and requiring a 12v input. I have an active whip at the masthead with the Amp near the Nav 6+ box and it works very well, with no problems from onboard EMI. Can't remember the make of the antenna.

Some of the respondents don't seem to now that the "Plus" version is designed with a 50 ohm co-axial input for any suitable antenna and is not designed to use ICS's own "strangely shaped white thingy".

I copy the appropriate paragraph from the manual:

Active 50 ohm Antenna
ICS recommend an active 50 ohm antenna specified for NAVTEX use. A suitable antenna is the ICS
905.02 although an equivalent antenna specified for operation at 490kHz and 518kHz would be
acceptable.

<hr width=100% size=1>

capricorn

Visit site

Thanks very much Oldhand, much appreciated.

I ordered an active antenna on friday, I went for the OEM ICS unit but the dealer gave me advice that mirrors what you tell me.

Incidently, I thoroughly recommend Cactus Nav, I've had consistently good service from them both on this occasion and several occasions previously.

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by capricorn on 23/08/2004 08:29 (server time).</FONT></P>

Oldhand

Visit site

Glad to hear you are going down the right path, hope your Nav6+ will work as well as mine.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Oldhand

Visit site
Now I'm confused. After reading the initial question I assumed an "A" was being talked about because I don't believe you can buy a NAV6+ (non-A) without an antenna.. I will mail capricorn to check.

<hr width=100% size=1>