Navman 7200 external speaker ... help!

Mike k

Visit site
Good evening all , I am having greater difficulty hearing my radio which is a Navman 7200 DSC, part of the problem is that the face is located away from me but I don't want to start moving the unit around as the wiring is so constrained for space and its a bit complicated. So I want to find an external speaker that I can plug in the back- I have checked on websites and there is a receiving socket for a jack but cant get hold of anyone at Navman ( gone now I suspect!) and I don't know how to identify the right speaker .

Can anyone direct me a source of one of these speakers that contains the right jack please??

Many thanks

Mike

pvb

Visit site
Any 4 ohm external speaker will do the job. The external speaker will always be on when it's plugged in to the socket on the radio, but the radio's internal speaker can be switched off in the set's menu if you want.

You can use an 8 ohm speaker, but there'll be reduced sound output.

The jack plug will be a standard audio plug - measure the diameter of the hole.

Mike k

Visit site
thanks PVB do you think that I will need a separate power supply to it? The diagram in the book just shows a single lead going into the receiving plug socket? Also, sorry to be thick, but most speakers seem to have two wire points and not a single jack- should I be looking somewhere specifc type of speaker? TIA

rbmatthews

rubytuesday39.wordpress.com
We fitted a 4-ohm PolyPlanar speaker to our Navman 7100 a few years ago, and it works perfectly. I did try an 8-ohm one originally, but not only was the volume reduced to being almost inaudible, there was also heaps of static. None of that with the 4-ohm.

No separate power supply needed - just a normal 3.5 mm jack.

Details at our blog below under the Equipment|VHF radio tab.

Baddox

Visit site
I fitted a Tripath amp (cheap from ebay, for example 182456987183) and a set of car speakers in the cabin. It has two inputs, one fits the my Navman VHF's output, the other accomodates a jack plug from Ipods and other MP3 players; both will happily run at the same time.

It couldn't have been easier.

Mike k

Visit site
I fitted a Tripath amp (cheap from ebay, for example 182456987183) and a set of car speakers in the cabin. It has two inputs, one fits the my Navman VHF's output, the other accomodates a jack plug from Ipods and other MP3 players; both will happily run at the same time.

It couldn't have been easier.

thanks for the heads up on that one.

Tony g

Visit site
Any 4 ohm external speaker will do the job. The external speaker will always be on when it's plugged in to the socket on the radio, but the radio's internal speaker can be switched off in the set's menu if you want.

You can use an 8 ohm speaker, but there'll be reduced sound output.

The jack plug will be a standard audio plug - measure the diameter of the hole.
Hi having same problem with my navman 7200 trying to connect external speaker. Connected speaker to jack plug turned off internal speaker but no output to speaker .any advice please.

Tony g

Visit site
Hi all newbie to this forum . Im trying to fit external speaker to my navman 7200 as i cant hear it underway . So found the conecter behind the vhf plugged in a speaker turned off internal speaker and nothing comes out. The speaker i have ia a 8ohm one . Has anyone else had problems like this . Tony

MADRIGAL

Visit site
Hi all newbie to this forum . Im trying to fit external speaker to my navman 7200 as i cant hear it underway . So found the conecter behind the vhf plugged in a speaker turned off internal speaker and nothing comes out. The speaker i have ia a 8ohm one . Has anyone else had problems like this . Tony
Welcome to the forum. There is another thread on this forum also started today about fitting an external speaker to a Navman 7200. Members posting there seem to suggest a 4 ohm speaker and say that sound is almost inaudible with an 8 ohm speaker. Check it out!

William_H

Visit site
There will be virtually no perceived difference between a 4 ohm speaker and an 8 ohm speaker. Yes theoretically 4 ohm will get more power out of radio audio but firstly you would never run speaker at full gain (power) and even if you do the perceived sound pressure at the ear is logarithmic.
OP obviously has an electrical hole in the external speaker system. A small battery (1.5v) connected across external speaker connections after removing from radio will give an audible click in the speaker confirming it is OK. Possible bad connection at radio or software set up. ol'will

William_H

Visit site
We fitted a 4-ohm PolyPlanar speaker to our Navman 7100 a few years ago, and it works perfectly. I did try an 8-ohm one originally, but not only was the volume reduced to being almost inaudible, there was also heaps of static. None of that with the 4-ohm.

No separate power supply needed - just a normal 3.5 mm jack.

Details at our blog below under the Equipment|VHF radio tab.
I would suggest your 8 ohm speaker is cactus. Should be barely perceived difference in sound volume between 4 ohm and 8 ohm. Scratchy and soft sounds like contamination in the magnetic gap between coil and magnet. Interesting that while a 4 ohm speaker will get more power out of the radio the actual audio efficiency of the speaker is far more critical. So generally a bigger diameter speaker will be more efficient compared to a tiny speaker. If you look at specs for a decent speakers ie for HiFI they give "sensitivity in decibels) 3db difference in sound pressure for same power in, is not uncommon. That equates to twice sound power out. Not that you would ever or hardly ever notice the difference.
It is ironical to me that for car audio systems they make the amp high power like 100watts. They then need speakers to handle that power without being destroyed. In making the speaker robust they make it far less sensitive. So you need 100w to get same sound pressure as a low powered amp and decent (large) speaker.
A decent 8 ohm speaker will give you more sound pressure (louder) than a mediocre 4 ohm.

ol'will

Tony g

Visit site
Thanks for all replys . I did try tbe speaker before i went to boat on 3 various things. Small stereo' large stereo ' and a mobile phone. All gave a volume but very low and the large stereo was distorted. So as far as i know the speaker works . So when i conected it to the navman via jackplug no output on speaker even with internal swithed off. Will try another speaker but how can i test output to jack plug is working.