Navman 3100 faulty display - easy repair.

celandine

Visit site
If, like me, you were unfortunate enough to fit one of these multi-display units, and if also like me, you have not yet got around to consigning it to the marina skip, I can report that the bold and inventive repair explained on Youtube HERE does actually work. It takes about half an hour and a few pounds for the bit you need from Maplin.

The video has been around for a year or so, but the problem this side of the Atlantic has always been sourcing the conductive elastomer strip that is needed; however recent contributions to the video have identified the unit from Maplin that you have to canabalize to get the elastomer: See here
And Hey presto, it works!

celandine

Visit site
Yes; I have done the repair with the Maplin elastomer, which is 8mm in width. This is only just wide enough; and to make it work I used the method suggested on the Youtube page which is to add a piece of foam rubber to create extra pressure between the two surfaces. This is perhaps not an ideal situation, so I would say to anyone proposing to try the repair that if possible they should find an elastomer of about 9mm in width if they can.

How wide was the piece that you found?

tom52

Visit site
I never actually measured the width of the LCD panel elastomer. But I suspect its the same as yours since I was able to achieve the repair with some packer to create pressure
which as you say is less than ideal.

davidej

Visit site
I don't have a Navman but looked at this out of interest as I try to repair many thinks others say I should chuck away and replace.

Can someone explain please this elastomer to me. It just looks like a strip of plastic - indeed the definition of elastomer sems to be rubbery plastic.

However it somehow seems to provide conductivity between the circuit board and the screen. Or was the ribbon conductor strip replace and I missed this?

Last edited:

garvellachs

Visit site
Elastomeric (Zebra) connector

The connectors work by having hundreds of very thin conductors built into them width-wise, all insulated from eachother but able to conduct end to end. So when they are placed between two sets of contacts some of the conductors connect each pair of contacts. All that is needed is slight pressure to ensure good conductivity between the contacts and the connector - maintained by the elastic nature of the conductor. The conductors are carbon in the cheap end of the market, silver or gold in the posh end. Hope that helps?

Drew51

Visit site
No problem stripping unit .Maplins unit too low where did you get elastomer strip I have a multi display and need one 8cm long

garvellachs

Visit site
No problem stripping unit .Maplins unit too low where did you get elastomer strip I have a multi display and need one 8cm long

I have mended a Navman display using elastomer from a Maplin LCD - I have one 10cm strip left I could sell to you if you like? It's about 10cm x 8mm x 2.5mm. Used 8cm wide it would need careful packing with a piece of foam to establish and keep good contact I reckon, but others above have done it? PM me if you want it?

mikeuknl

Visit site
Anyone know what is the Maplin Part Number for Multi ? It needs 58mm

The order code for the screen from Maplins is N27AZ for the Navman Depth Sounder & Speed Indicator,
(32mm strip)

bremar

Visit site
Hi,
I know some of this thread is old but my navman depth 3100 display has finally disappeared. I could do the repair suggested in this thread but I am confused as to where to get the elastomer strip needed and the correct width. I've searched the Maplin website for elastomer but without success. I went into Maplin and asked but again no success. Can anyone please point me to where I can buy the correct "elastomer" strip or item I need to canabalise to get that strip.
Thanks Bremar.

Mort

Visit site
Hi,
I know some of this thread is old but my navman depth 3100 display has finally disappeared. I could do the repair suggested in this thread but I am confused as to where to get the elastomer strip needed and the correct width. I've searched the Maplin website for elastomer but without success. I went into Maplin and asked but again no success. Can anyone please point me to where I can buy the correct "elastomer" strip or item I need to canabalise to get that strip.
Thanks Bremar.

Hi Bremar, I repaired my 3100's with the part mentioned above, N27AZ, LCD 2x16 Black Module, from Maplins. Buy the screen and if you take it apart there are two elastomer strips inside, enough to fix 2 screens.

dutch11

Visit site
hi, i am in the throws of buying an antares 9 with a navman 3100 and that too has a proble with no screen output, is it an easy cheapish job to fix for a novice or is there someone who would do it at a cost.

garvellachs

Visit site
hi, i am in the throws of buying an antares 9 with a navman 3100 and that too has a problem with no screen output, is it an easy cheapish job to fix for a novice or is there someone who would do it at a cost.

This thread harks back to problems with missing bits on the 3100 screen due to partial failure of the ribbon connecting the screen to the circuit board. If your problem is a totally blank screen it may be something else?

I have fixed one with missing screen areas using the elastomer method available on the web/youtube etc. Could a novice do it? I don't see why not if you study hard beforehand all the available info. It won't cost much and if it doesn't work you won't lose much if it's not working now at all?

dutch11

Visit site
Thank you garvellachs, i will see if a new 3100 is available... now i believe the windlass is not working as well, might just pass on this 9 series.regards.

rjcoles

Visit site
Both my repeater screens have died and so has Maplins so any suggestions on where to buy the elastomers strips to carry out this repair?

Mahatma-G

Visit site
I got excited about the elastomeric zebra strip repair and obtained some in the US, but alas, when I opened up the Navman it turned out to be a very early unit so the repair was impossible. After that I bought an advanSea Depth S400 since it is supposed to work with the Navman sounder. When it arrived the 8-wire cable (bue wire cut short as it is not used) was just that, with no 8-pin circular male connector. Not a problem to get one, but when I looked in the advanSea manual there was no pinout diagram as to which color wire goes to which pin. Their manual for the matching speed log instrument has one, but it is clearly not for the Depth meter. So, go figure. Did they drop the ball, or just assume that it is so obvious (to them) that anyone else could figure it out. Not me, so if anyone can send me a pinout for the advanSea Depth S400, it would be appreciated.