Navionics software

Rum_Pirate

Visit site
Anyone using Navionics software for navigation?

Someone I know paid $25 for it this year, and just got a message from them about price increases.
Seems next year his US and Canada subscription will be $50.
This seems kind of high for already developed software that uses free government supplied charts.

He is not inclined to renew. Will you?

What do you guys use?

He just need to input routes of the race course and have it record his track for after race analysis.
He doesn't need it to connect with his nonexistent wind instruments or his depth sounder.
Frankly, he views most of that stuff as distractions that keep him from getting his head out of the boat.

Bristolfashion

Visit site

Someone I know paid $25 for it this year, and just got a message from them about price increases.
This seems kind of high for already developed software that uses free government supplied charts.

What do you guys use?

He just need to input routes of the race course and have it record his track for after race analysis.
He doesn't need it to connect with his nonexistent wind instruments or his depth sounder.
Frankly, he views most of that stuff as distractions that keep him from getting his head out of the boat.
Well, the product is the product - you can't expect it to be cheaper 'cos you don't use all the bells and whistles. Although, next time I buy a car, I'll try for something off 'cos I never use the fog lights😀

Certainly, in the UK & Oz, Navionics seems a bargain compared to printed charts and comparable to any other online offerings.

I'm sure that hours of research and tinkering would yield an open source, bug ridden solution that would sometimes provide the same solutions.

I like Navionics - I also have the full set of digital UK admiralty charts, but rarely refer to them.

B27

Visit site
Navionics for ios and android is very cheap. It's made it hard for anyone to compete.
If they start charging more for it, the playing field might be more level.
I think there are flaws and irritations with Navionics, particularly the SonarChart crowd-sourced data which is potentially dangerous rubbish in places where I've tried it.

ylop

Visit site

What do you guys use?

He could probably use OpenCPN (if on android) or one of the other free plotters with free us gov charts. BUT they have exactly the sort of dated, clunky, slow UI that you expect with free software. If you consider how much real effort goes into making a product like Navionics and maintaining it - I think $50 (which apple or google will take 30% of, there may be vat or similar taxes too) is actually not that bad a deal. It seems expensive because we are used to software being free - but there’s no such thing from a commercial provider - you are just paying by consuming adverts (which statistically must work even if you believe YOU are immune) or your data is being sold to someone.

oldgit

Visit site
A budget MoBo boaters guide.
Have a selection of old redundant laptops and Ipads clogging up my shelves.
Mostly local coastal boating with the odd trip across La Manche.
Started using "Seaclear" in early 1990s on second hand laptop as a primary electronic system, could certainly not afford a proper fixed chartplotter.
Seaclear on various old laptops remained the primary system until a couple of boats came complete with old Raymarine or Simrad plotters and all that was needed was local chart upgrade for an eyewatering £120.00.
One day somebody wandered in our clubhouse with an Ipad loaded with Navionics....... UK and the near continent for £40.00.
Got to have one of those, pretty impressive, a second hand Gps enabled Ipad loaded with Navionics soon found its way onto the boat .
It also soon became the prime source of plotting at home and navigation on the boat but then two things happened.
After attempting to renew the charts "Navionics" announced my old Ipad was no longerl capable of handling the latest software and would need replacing and a "new" boat appeared with an all singing all dancing Touchscreen plotter installed downstairs and but nothing on the flybridge and the charts also needed upgrading. ............How Much.

:(
The Ipad had done its job, apart from battery life (even when plugged into 12V, it usually conked out half way through any decent trip, was difficult to read in sunshine and had a tendency to crack screens at the slightest excuse.
New Stuff.
At £40.00 Navionics is a bargain and is now installed on a 10" OUKITEL Android Tablet with 1000ma battery.
The posh fixed chartplotter is always on, usually hidden underneath a large badly folded chart with badly rubbed out pencil lines all over it.
The tablet is the primary piece of kit used when plotting or underway.

** The display on the Android is not as bright and clear as the IPad but can live with that.
""" Unlike "Seaclear" Navionics will not allow you alter your speed between waypoints but can live with that too.

Last edited:

Beneteau381

Visit site

What do you guys use?

Don’t need to renew or pay owt! We ”bought” ours decades ago, it still works, no ongoing payment, rocks and coast and harbours still in same place. We have ported it to our latest pads as the years have gone by, our tracks etc are still there.

Cardinal

Visit site
In case there may have been any misunderstanding, the navionics software is free on iOS and android. Only the charts then cost and unless you update them annually, they are then yours to keep and use (with the free software) in perpetuity.

B27

Visit site
In case there may have been any misunderstanding, the navionics software is free on iOS and android. Only the charts then cost and unless you update them annually, they are then yours to keep and use (with the free software) in perpetuity.
Except that it may require you to log in.

I don't think Navionics has actually given any commitment or contract to allow you to use the software and 'subscription expired' charts forever, there is nothing to stop them requiring you to pay at some point in the future.

Cardinal

Visit site
I agree- „perpetuity“ was a rather optimistic word to choose but till now use has continued and one may retain at least a degree of optimism.

jlavery

Visit site

What do you guys use?

"Already developed software"which needs to be maintained and kept updated so that it runs on the latest versions of iOS and Android, which can introduce "breaking changes" which stop your software working.

oldgit

Visit site
Don’t need to renew or pay owt! We ”bought” ours decades ago, it still works, no ongoing payment, rocks and coast and harbours still in same place. We have ported it to our latest pads as the years have gone by, our tracks etc are still there.
Unless of course the "bottom" has an annoying habit of moving on a regular basis .
Not a few in the Thames Estuary will have found this out over the years.?

Cheriedavy

Visit site
I can understand his concerns about the price increase. If he primarily needs navigation and route recording without the additional instrument integration, he might want to explore more cost-effective alternatives like OpenCPN or iNavX. They offer solid navigation features without the higher subscription costs. It's always good to weigh the features against the price to find the best fit for his needs.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Navionics, now Garmin, sets prices as they like.
Much like petrol stations you either pay and get the juice - or get nothing. You may try to negotiate with the pump, but you won't win!

You can, theoretically, use Navionics without paying, but the "nice" features will not work (like Autorouting).

Beneteau381

Visit site
Has anyone any experience of the Imray app as an alternative to Navionics?
I bought one of their offerings years ago, then they lost interest or something and sold it to what appeared to be a one man band. it’s topped working for me.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Navionics, now Garmin, sets prices as they like.
Much like petrol stations you either pay and get the juice - or get nothing. You may try to negotiate with the pump, but you won't win!

You can, theoretically, use Navionics without paying, but the "nice" features will not work (like Autorouting).
You trust your boat to autorouting? Really?

Beneteau381

Visit site
Navionics bottom st
Unless of course the "bottom" has an annoying habit of moving on a regular basis .
Not a few in the Thames Estuary will have found this out over the years.?
It stays pretty much as is unless you count unverified input from users. I’m going in to Alvor tomorrow, the depths are the same on the chart as a few years ago when we went last time. Slowly slowly in moving sand banks is my motto.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
You trust your boat to autorouting? Really?
No, and that's not what Autorouting is about either.

Autorouting is only for planning - and they say so clearly. Of course, it can never replace a skipper. The mere fact that it can't keep a lookout or know what's on the water ahead would make it really irresponsible to let it decide anything.

But it's a great feature to get a draft of a route with courses and timing, that you can edit.

Another thing that prevents active Autorouting is that the AP requires confirmation before every turn or course change. If it doesn't get it, the alarm goes off.