Navionics SD Cherbourg/ N France faulty cartography

Visit site
Does anyone have a solution to the appalling coloured shading/ hatching that makes the Cherbourg chart in the Navionics Europe and Western Med card practically useless ,( and dangerous therefore)? It looks like the shading is to differentiate seabed type. It renders at a certain level of zoom only. Zoom out and it disappears.

The raster layer/ hatching seems to start and stop at the Cherbourg chartlet boundary so it is not a 'global' setting on the MFD in which the Navionics SD card and mapping is used.

Anyway, you cannot toggle off/on seabed type hatching/shading on part of a chart, or even all of the charts, on a Raymarine gS or eS MFD .

So I am 99.9pc certain it's a Navionics fault not a MFD menu setting issue.

Also, to support the above, the Navionics Boating App version of the card is fine.

I've raised it with Navionics, but not had a reply yet. BTW, the card is fully up to date.

I can't believe I am the only user to identify this issue. Any ideas ( noting the points about it probably being nothing to do with the Raymarine MFDs)?

PS have tried to attach image but can't seem to get it small enough.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
When I experienced this my reaction was just as virulent as yours - I was going through Ushant for the first time as skipper, and alone, and had to switch to OpenCPN and paper charts. The tablet is not daylight viewable, so I had to run up and down the companionway to check it, and I was also considerably nervous about its battery life.

I was livid and swearing that I was going to demand a refund and take them to court if they refused and I was all sorts of angry, and then I discovered it's possible to disable the red cross-hatching in one of the menus of my B&G chartplotter. I note that the setting is not where you would expect it.

I don't know why the shading is done this way, as I wholly agree that it makes the chart unreadable.

Visit site
When I experienced this my reaction was just as virulent as yours - I was going through Ushant for the first time as skipper, and alone, and had to switch to OpenCPN and paper charts. The tablet is not daylight viewable, so I had to run up and down the companionway to check it, and I was also considerably nervous about its battery life.

I was livid and swearing that I was going to demand a refund and take them to court if they refused and I was all sorts of angry, and then I discovered it's possible to disable the red cross-hatching in one of the menus of my B&G chartplotter. I note that the setting is not where you would expect it.

I don't know why the shading is done this way, as I wholly agree that it makes the chart unreadable.
Thanks for your reply. I am doing the same - swapping to a tablet and its mapping/ nav software! Anyway,I've looked every where on both my Raymarine devices, and there's nothing to tweak that I can find. As I say, seabed type would be what's called a global toggle, and would affect all chart views. This clearly starts and stops at the Cherbourg area chart boundaries.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Thanks for your reply. I am doing the same - swapping to a tablet and its mapping/ nav software! Anyway,I've looked every where on both my Raymarine devices, and there's nothing to tweak that I can find. As I say, seabed type would be what's called a global toggle, and would affect all chart views. This clearly starts and stops at the Cherbourg area chart boundaries.
Screenshot below showing the similar area that starts just north of the Chenal du Four.

On B&G there's a "coloured seabed…" option, but it wasn't where I expected it to be.

IyfnZmF.jpg

t0FilgR.jpg

487Rkjm.jpg

jUHMR8O.jpg

Visit site
Many years ago I had this on a Raymarine Plotter.
It was fixed by getting through the menus to cartography and deselecting the seabed option.
The link was here Navionics charts unreadable
Thanks for the info but there's no setting on the Raymarine gS or eS MFDs I have that will control seabed colouring on just a few chart(lets) in the pack. Such settings are usually global too, if they exist ( as they clearly do on some BG plotters). If anyone knows different, happy to be shown. No reply from Navionics as yet.

Visit site
Thanks to all responders. Navionics has replied and given very specific instructions along the lines some of you suggested. Seems I need to look more carefully at all the options in the menus. So, Navionics have been superb. The answer is as follows ( for Raymarine gS and eS MFD): "The seabed option is only available for selected areas (for select US HD lakes, Portugal, France, North of Corsica) and can be disabled from your Raymarine MDF Menu directly (you should find the option in Menu > Presentation > Objects > Colored Seabed Areas OFF). This will disable the seabed option for the whole Central and West Europe chart."

Siftasam

Visit site
Hi Solent Cruiser. Thank you for your clear step by step instructions to remove the ”red mist” on french charted waters from navoinics.
Following our chart update we were dismayed to encounter the problem. We were advised to change it in “Chart Settings” which option did not exist on our C95 raymarine plotter.
However delighted to report that by following your instructions the problem was resolved. I cannot but offer you our heartfelt thanks. Brilliant.