Navik

Theshipscat

www.cobra-seawolf.com
The instructions state that the vane should be locked, unfortunately it doesn't explain how one does this.
Hi Scilly. There's nowhere to put a continuous line as far as I can see. The vane is adjusted by turning a knob, as can be seen in pic two.

Last edited:

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
some changes to the version I had for sure, the knob for adjusting the vane angle had a small drum on the one I had so a line could be used instead of reaching over to adjust it. as for locking the vane, why would you want to, it only needs to be trimmed to the wind angle required. As I said its a few years since I've used a Navik and I've probably forgotten quite a lot of the little foibles of the thing. I might still have the instruction book somewhere that might remind me of a few things.

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
I'm looking for a long time for the "remote control" and the "autopilot" associated to the Navik. I miss a remote control on the internet one month ago.
Some Navik, perhaps modified, have a block instead of the adjusting knob. It should be easy to modify in order to have a remote adjustment.
Trick : To improve the Navik sensibility in light airs, French used to add some cloth clips to the vane.
Eric

malds

Visit site
It's a great windvane, just make sure you have fishing wire attached to every part, you will lose something if not. It works is very light winds.

I gave mine away after it drove me insane, mine was 35 years old. I certainly wouldn't buy one new, but they do work very well, just not very robust.

P1000531.jpg

Last edited:

Theshipscat

www.cobra-seawolf.com
It's a great windvane, just make sure you have fishing wire attached to every part, you will lose something if not. It works is very light winds.

I gave mine away after it drove me insane, mine was 35 years old. I certainly wouldn't buy one new, but they do work very well, just not very robust.

P1000531.jpg

I've used sail thread.
How did it drive you insane?
I've also managed to procure a box of spares from the states including a complete rudder.

malds

Visit site
I am envious! Great piece of kit, I couldn't find a rudder hence new windvane.

Problems:
1. The connecting rod, the universal rotating joiners at both ends came out - heavy sea.
2. The jointed connector, if it slid off the trim tab connection would jam causing a gybe / tack. - used wire to hold it fast.
3. Lost the rudder and sheared the pin which allows the rudder to snap back when it hits something.

As I said it's good just too flimsy, too much went wrong. 35 years of UV tends to destroy most things.

G12

Visit site
I thnk just about everything Plastimo make is flimsy! I've always avoided it like the plague.
Unfortunately I have a flexible water tank that I'd like to replace with a larger one..... can only find plastimo ones which is why I haven't replaced it yet in the hope that I can find one that's well made.

SvenH

Visit site
I thnk just about everything Plastimo make is flimsy! I've always avoided it like the plague.
Unfortunately I have a flexible water tank that I'd like to replace with a larger one..... can only find plastimo ones which is why I haven't replaced it yet in the hope that I can find one that's well made.

Vetus make a flex-tank that is made rigid after inflating in situ using uv.

Ceirwan

Visit site
http://www.syrebellion.com/media-logboek-2011d_gt.htm

This chap's sailed his 27 foot Albin Vega from Holland, down to patagonia and now back up into the pacific.

His advice to anyone with a Navik is to put that F*****G piece of trash in the trash!
It's broken on numerous occasions apparantly.

Theres some great stuff on that site relating to fitting out boats.