Navigators & General Insurance - check your policy for this clause

langstonelayabout

Visit site
A couple of notes from my dealings with Y insurance on my last 2 boats:

Y’s policy asked that the engine was professionally fitted. I had just removed the old 1GM10 from my boat and replaced it with a brand new 1GM10. I’d aligned and commissioned it myself and all was good. I emailed Y and asked if this would be OK as I’ve been working on dinghies and yachts for over 20 years. They responded via email that this was acceptable to them. I printed and retained their email with the rest of the insurance documentation.

Also, starting from the list of ‘things to do’ items that the surveyor always identifies, I always create a ‘as-built status’ of my boat and forward it to the insurer. This includes things like ages and conditions of rigging, engine, sails, anchor rode, electronic equipment, etc.

Where a design has been changed (i.e. installation of new engine of improved reliability/capability) this is shown in the as-built status for the boat. Changes of backstay tensioning tackle for lever, engine latest service date, folding propeller type and age are also shown in this matrix.

I’ve always disclosed everything like this to my insurer and never had a problem accepting my boats to insure as they are based upon the information in the matrix.

Might this be an idea to bring the enemy closer? ��

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I too have had this clause appear this year. I challenged it and got the same response as you. I will probably leave on this basis next year. I also hope the Westerly Owners Association stop their relationship with N&G as a result of this because I agree it is a totally impractical clause for older boats.

What exactly is impractical about letting your insurers know the details of the boat they are insuring?