Nav lights

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
I've just taken ownership of a new (to me) yacht. On the berth last night I tried out the "nav lights" and "anchor light" switches. "Nav lights" gets me bicolour at the bow, steaming light (all white 225 deg) half way up the mast and a stern light. That's fine. The "Anchor light" switch gets me a tricolour at the masthead; I was expecting an all round white.

Does anybody have any ideas why I might have this configuration?

Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site
As a suggestion perhaps a previous owner replaced the all round white anchor light at the masthead with the tricolour without bothering to change the wiring/labels.

It is possible that he didn't feel the need for a permanently fitted anchor light, either because he didn't spend many nights at anchor or because he had a separate anchor light on a lead that he hoist when required. The latter has a lot to recommend it as a solution - a lot of people would say that the top of the mast is not the ideal location for an anchor light

<hr width=100% size=1>

Benbow

Visit site
Not ideal, if your masthead tri fails you can't legally sail with 'nav lights' on unless you shin up the mast and remove the bulb from the steaming light. There has also been discussion of poor visibility of a masthead light among shore lights. I would suggest separate switches for:

bow bicolour and stern white
steaming light
mastehead tri

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site
Yes - your masthead tricolour is only legal when sailing rather than under power. Your deck level lights, because the "steaming light" is only to be used under power.

The reason behind having the masthead light is that it has lower power consumption than the low level 2 or 3 lights.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site
As you describe it, with 'Nav lights', Bicolour, Steaming & Stern is correct for motoring or motorsailing. You should also have Bicolour & Stern as an alternative to Tricolour whilst sailing(can usually be seen better by other small craft in crowded waters)
Change the label from Anchor to Tricolour

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

snowleopard

Visit site
while your two switches, once properly labelled, will give you legal lights for sailing and power, there's a lot to be said for extra switches so, for example, you could have pulpit & sern lights as an alternative for sailing if your masthead bulb failed, also your steaming and stern would give a reasonable anchor light.

low level lights are often more easily seen against the dark water than a masthead light against shore lights so a tricolour is not always a good idea.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Benbow

Visit site
Isn't that exactly what I said ? In fact is it not true that no information has been added after the first 2 responses to this thread ?

Don't want to appear touchy, but I am worrying that I must be incomprehensible !

<hr width=100% size=1>

Avocet

Visit site
Just a thought but if the boat is new to you, has the mast been re-stepped and is there more than one deck plug? I can plug my all-round white into the socket linked to the tricolour switch in the cabin by mistake when re-stepping the mast!

<hr width=100% size=1>