Nav light mounting

oldbilbo

Visit site
I'm replacing old, feeble 'incandescents' with shiny new LED units. The question of quite HOW to mount these arises.

IMG_4235.jpg

There are several holes moulded/drilled in the backplate, possibly for attachment screws. Some of these would certainly let seawater in, at times. Accompanying leaflets indicate "the light is for Type 'Z' attachments. The red and black leads terminate in 5mm 'mousetails', which I assume should be soldered to 12v supply leads already in position.

Can some skilled good soul suggest the optimum/best practice way of attaching these, better than my First Approximation of a Bodge....?

Last edited:

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Are you mounting then on a flat vertical surface if so just drill onto what ever you are mounting then onto. If not we need to see what you are mounting then onto

I would use crimp bullet connectors so that they can be removed without cutting the wire.

prv

Visit site
I would use crimp bullet connectors so that they can be removed without cutting the wire.

And I would use solder (butt crimps also acceptable) and adhesive heatshrink, so that there are no exposed connectors to corrode. These things are going on deck, probably near the bow, so they're going to be liberally doused with seawater. And why would I want to remove my nav lights on a regular basis?

Pete

Alan ashore

Visit site
FWIW "type Z attachment" is a term from the IEC standard for electrical accessories, meaning only "a method of attachment such that the flexible cable or cord cannot be replaced without destroying the integrity of the accessory " In this case I guess the existing tails are the whole of what is referred to here. Not much help.

It might be worth enquiring if there is a fitted rubber gasket available for mounting these, assuming you do have a flat surface to fit them to.

sarabande

Visit site
try butyl ,dear Bilbo, dear Bilbo, try butyl ?

And insulated pin terminals and receptacles - of which I will shortly have not a few. They are the one with a dimple - much better connection than the flat 4.8 and 6.3 mm ones, and easier to waterprrof as they are cylindrical.