NASA BM1 oddity

Scubadoo

Visit site
Recently I have noticed that when I press the V/A button to light up the amp display, it gains about 0.4amps, but reads accurately when the button isn't touched. I've had this unit for quite a few years and has been fine until now. The only thing I wonder is that I changed the leisure battery earlier this year, but I can't see how this would affect it as it reads accurately if not touched. I did do a search on this forum but couldn't find anyone with the same issue (or I missed it). Any thoughts what it might be?

pvb

Visit site
Recently I have noticed that when I press the V/A button to light up the amp display, it gains about 0.4amps, but reads accurately when the button isn't touched. I've had this unit for quite a few years and has been fine until now. The only thing I wonder is that I changed the leisure battery earlier this year, but I can't see how this would affect it as it reads accurately if not touched. I did do a search on this forum but couldn't find anyone with the same issue (or I missed it). Any thoughts what it might be?

Won't the backlight use power, so there should be a difference in the current reading? 0.4A sounds a lot for a backlight though.

wiggy

Visit site
Mine went all weird every time I pressed any button, often the voltage reading well below expected. I phones NASA and they advised cleaning alt he contact at the battery, I did and all is now fine.

VicS

Visit site
I agree BUT this is showing a gain/charge of 0.4amps not a discharge of 0.4 amps.
Maybe you have disturbed the wiring for the monitor around the shunt .Check and double check especially the black and white wires

VicS

Visit site
Thanks vics and wiggly, will double check the connections, from what I remember all the contacts were clean.
Any chance that you disconnected any of the wiring and reconnected it wrongly.
I must admit I cannot explain an apparent charge of 0.4 amps. Although I cannot confirm it for the BM the lighting for other Nasa Clipper instruments that I have found a figure for only use 25mA

Scubadoo

Visit site
Any chance that you disconnected any of the wiring and reconnected it wrongly.
I must admit I cannot explain an apparent charge of 0.4 amps. Although I cannot confirm it for the BM the lighting for other Nasa Clipper instruments that I have found a figure for only use 25mA
Hi vics, I'm pretty sure it was connected back correctly, but of course will double check. It was a simple battery swap so the only bm1 connections on the battery was the red wire and the normal positive and negative connections.

pvb

Visit site

From his OP, it would sound like he has a BM1 Compact version, rather than the Clipper.

VicS

Visit site
Hi vics, I'm pretty sure it was connected back correctly, but of course will double check. It was a simple battery swap so the only bm1 connections on the battery was the red wire and the normal positive and negative connections.
Should not have caused a problem then. Had to ask incase you disconnected any of the black , white or yellow wires

Yngmar

Visit site

Ours does the exact same and has since I owned the boat. After some initial attempts at trying to troubleshoot this, checking the wiring and replacing the shunt (for unrelated reasons), I contacted NASA and got told to check the wiring and as that was definitely okay the rest was shrugging. I just left it as it works fine without the backlight. There's a LED lamp at the Nav table right above it anyways :p

My conclusion is some sort of internal fault or design flaw, but it's not worth replacing the unit since it works fine with the backlight off.

Scubadoo

Visit site
Ours does the exact same and has since I owned the boat. After some initial attempts at trying to troubleshoot this, checking the wiring and replacing the shunt (for unrelated reasons), I contacted NASA and got told to check the wiring and as that was definitely okay the rest was shrugging. I just left it as it works fine without the backlight. There's a LED lamp at the Nav table right above it anyways :p

My conclusion is some sort of internal fault or design flaw, but it's not worth replacing the unit since it works fine with the backlight off.
Thanks for the info, I am beginning to think the same as I'm pretty sure the wiring is still correct and in good condition.

Andrew_Fitton

Visit site
My BM1monitor had the fault of Amp reading going haywire when the backlight was lit. I cured the problem by cutting off the small ring terminal with the black and white wires at the shunt and crimping on a new ring terminal. The Amp reading just needed recalibrating after. I diagnosed the fault by wiggling the black and white wires whilst watching the reading vary on the BM1 monitor. It only took me a couple of years to get round to actually look for the cause of the backlight fault.
I do hope this helps you with your problem.

Scubadoo

Visit site
My BM1monitor had the fault of Amp reading going haywire when the backlight was lit. I cured the problem by cutting off the small ring terminal with the black and white wires at the shunt and crimping on a new ring terminal. The Amp reading just needed recalibrating after. I diagnosed the fault by wiggling the black and white wires whilst watching the reading vary on the BM1 monitor. It only took me a couple of years to get round to actually look for the cause of the backlight fault.
I do hope this helps you with your problem.
Thank you, that is very helpful info and will check those wire connections.