NASA AIS Engine VHF Input

CPD

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a stubby typr VHF aerial that I could fit onto the pushpit to feed a signa into an AIS engine. I do not want to go down the radio aerial sharing route, and would rather not have a "twangy" (great word) type. If anyone has any direct experience, it would be great to hear from you and to hear how you sorted this particular problem. Thanks to all.

Talbot

Visit site
Direct experience. I waisted my money on a stubby vtronix helical aerial, and then doubled the range of my AIS when I fitted a 1 metre steel whip in the same location.

fireball

Visit site
oo that's interesting - cos I was about to get a stub one .... I'll re-think now! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pappaecho

Visit site
Fitted a second whip type aerial to the mizzen, existing one for the DSC radio and the second for the AIS radar and it also does the vhf radio for the weather forecasts and radio 2. Hardest part was getting the cable down the inside of the mast

martinriches

Visit site
I fitted a 90cm arial on my coachroof and couldent get good enough reception so have bought a 2.4m glass fibre arial.I havent got it down to the boat yet as it's to big to get on the tube [should have thought of that I suppose]

Robin2

Visit site
I just bought a vtronix helical antenna and fitted it to the backstay - about 3m above the water? - and it seems to work better than the masthead hawk antenna that has been there for 5 years.

The helical antenna is receiving ships 10 miles away no problem.

fireball

Visit site
Ok - so now I'm in a quandary ... I want to put an antenna on the pushpit, but it is fairly prone there - so wanted the stub antenna - Talbot I think said his didn't work ... but yours does ... whats the difference?

shmoo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

and it seems to work better than the masthead hawk antenna that has been there for 5 years.

[/ QUOTE ]
My guess is the 5 year old antenna will be working fine: it will be the 5 year old connections to it that will be not so good as the lately installed ones.

DaveS

Visit site
This may not assist with the confusion, but... I have a hawk masthead VHF antenna which came with the boat. It's got a slight problem in that some bits of the "solder free" plug in cable fitting at the masthead are missing, but despite that it seems to work OK. Partly because I was a bit worried about this potentially dodgy connection, but also to add redundancy, I fitted a Heliflex to the masthead a couple of years ago, giving me a choice of antennas. (I've used Heliflexes on previous boats and been very happy with them, and not having to remove a masthead connection has to be a plus.) Currently the VHF is connected to the Heliflex and seems to work fine, but not noticably better or poorer than with the Hawk.

My intention is to get an AIS and use the other antenna for that, swapping as necessary in an emergency. After I do it will be interesting to compare and contrast AIS ranges with the two antennas...