Najad Yachts - bankrupt

Morven

Visit site
I worked with Mike a few years ago now at a Southampton boatshow, nice guy, just a shame this has happened.

arfa

Visit site
The Najad sales team at the boat show a couple of years ago were about the most decent of the lot there. Having told them I only sailed a little boat they welcomed a look around their show boat as "we all aspire and dream". I wish them well

jonic

www.jryachts.com
That's a great shame, they were beautiful boats. One of the first brokerage boats I ever sold was a 331 and it was absolutely gorgeous.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
I can remember feeling a bit sad, and lamented the loss when Najad decided to loose their skeg and long fin keel. The interior design changes I liked because the workmanship and the quality of wood used was typically Swedish, but I could see traditional Najad buyers not liking the new designs.

Going for deep fins and spade rudders on the bigger boats was a mistake IMHO on boats that people will typically go off around the world in. HR have at least kept either the skeg or the longer keel, or have a boat in their range the size that does ie newer 372 and traditional 37.

Najad tried to backtrack with their Aphrodite range the 38 was the old 380, which itself was the older 373, but I think it was too little too late, and the Aphrodite did have some strange features, bed knobs in the fore cabin and the wooden brightwork on the coachwood which screamed hard work, sanding and varnishing down the line, though I believe it wouldn't need it, but try telling a lazy mind that! :)

They were beautiful boats, and going on board them used to mean that nothing less than perfection could be expected. I felt let down by the 410 when I spent a couple of days on her, although watching Chris constantly hit his head on the cockpit mould in the galley in slapstick manner would entertain me for ages, it wasn't the sort of thing that should happen in a Najad. I watched half a dozen people do the same thing at Dusseldorf in the short time I was on board it. Najad's reasponse was most people learn to avoid it :D

May be this was the problem in the end Najad wanting people to adapt to their boats, when really the boat manufacture has to adapt to the owner.

JomsViking

Visit site
May be this was the problem in the end Najad wanting people to adapt to their boats, when really the boat manufacture has to adapt to the owner.

Very true, especially in a high-end Yacht like this. Let's hope someone have the money to resurrect Najad (and give those boatbuilders their job back)..

Sans Bateau

Visit site
On a negative note, when Najad took over Maxi, the UK dealer, SD marine, had their dealership pulled from under them overnight. Roger Moon had been selling Maxi's for a good many years and was an excellent ambassador to the brand. I understand he was treated very badly by Najad management. I just wonder how many Maxis were sold after his dealership was pulled?

Lee_Shaw

Visit site
It may well be but it is not just the money lenders that have to write off their loans. In fact they are often ahead of the small vendors (parts suppliers ) that are unsecured creditors. It's not funny when you're on the end of that.

I for one never grant credit to a company again that has dumped its creditors and bought the assets back from the receivers. Not unless they find a way of recompensing us. Also, when the banks lose, we all lose - as well we now know.

Sorry, it's a touchy subject when I hear of that.

And add me too.

kyleview

Visit site
I have a 4 year old Malo 40 and like it a lot - still the traditional Swedish boat. When looking around 6 years ago I quickly discounted Najad as I thought they had lost the plot by going modern - just like many of the other far cheaper "white" boats. I told them this at SIBS and I have got to say the UK agents agreed but could do nothing about. Just reflects snooks and other peoples comments / observations. I hear HR maybe having a hard time also, just hope they and Malo stay the course.

skipper dice

Visit site
The Najad 380 was of extremely high quality. This was their best seller. Still used Najads are very desirable due to the quality built.

Other threads that may be of interest