Mystery photos boat parts

Touchwood

Visit site
......isn't the metal piece a home made version of the standard snurble grip-thribley rest ?

Several misunderstandings here - there can be no such thing as a "standard" Grip-Thribley rest since each was crafted to fit between the drudge plate and the return sconce in the winscoming - no two are the same on any boat. As to "home made", it would take a fine craftsman, working with state of the art tools in a fully equipped machine shop anything up to 14 months to make a single Grip-Thribley rest so I hardly think so!

coromar

Visit site
Hi Touchwood,

With all due respect, I belive you are incorrect to state that a hand made Grip-Thribley rest would take 14 months to produce.

I adapted a B+Q ladder rack and by replacing the old return sconce I had it fitted in 2 hours.

For anyone wishing to do the same I would advise you to replace the laughing shaft with a new giggling pin at the same time.

Best wishes,

Paul

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
I'm amazed people are still using original Grip-Thribleys. I replaced mine with an inflatable electronic version several seasons ago. There's no longer a need for a heavily engineered rest - I'm able to use a trunnion, cascade and pinwheel vernier made of Nomex honeycomb with polymolyibdonium slides.

davidpbo

Boatless in Cheshire. Formerly 23ft Jeanneau Tonic
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
Obvious init the rusty H shaped thing is a key for the deck filler on a supertanker.

Port or Starboard?

Does it fit in somewhere to form a step.

Some friends of mine have a sailing boat built by a retired naval architect. They keep finding obscure shaped items and daren't throw them away because there is usually a use for them. It just might not be apparent at the time.

Last edited:

Touchwood

Visit site
Grip-Thribleys

Can I suggest that we curtail any further discussion on the fascinating topic of Grip-Thribley rests - it's a bit of a hi-jack and impolite to the OP - which is deeply ironic when one understands the true purpose of the fitting!!

reginaldon

Visit site
The PBO RtoR Forum is becoming as great a time waster as the Lounge.
Sorry I'm a grouch not entering into the spirit of things!

auditdata

www.sephina.org
standard grip-thribley

I think the mystery has been solved! The Standard Grib-thirbley purpose has been found. I'm too nervous to post it yet. To make sure I don't mislead the forum I am going to try it out tomorrow to make absolutely sure it is still able to carry out its function in its rusty state. Might even take a pic of it in action.
Joy.......
Clive

auditdata

www.sephina.org
£100.00 to children in need

If anyone can identify what the famous "H" or "I" is for before midnight tonight I will give £100.00 to Children in Need.
Clue it is a tool
:)