My Heros of the day

P4Paul

Visit site
Obviously Gary for organising the event and being a constant source of motivation over the last six months but my unsung hero of the day was Trevor for being kind enough to drive his van from Penton Hook to Ocean Village at an average speed of 12mph so the rest of us could ride safely in the knowledge that support was just a phone call away.

Thank you both.

rafiki_

Visit site
Obviously Gary for organising the event and being a constant source of motivation over the last six months but my unsung hero of the day was Trevor for being kind enough to drive his van from Penton Hook to Ocean Village at an average speed of 12mph so the rest of us could ride safely in the knowledge that support was just a phone call away.

Thank you both.
Seconded. This has been a huge effort to organise, and Gary has done the vast majority of it. Trevor is an absolute superstar, and we might still be circulating Hampshire, if he hadn't been there to direct U.S. Well done to all the riders and organisers, plus Rob near Penton Hook who put Gary and I up last night, took us out on his boat, made a superb Thai Curry, and is an all round good egg!

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Thirded!.... terrific day, and a great fun way to raise money.

The organisation was perfect, even going as far as organising good weather! :D

Thanks everyone for the company, chat and laughter..... and on top of the fab vehicle support from Trevor, a big thanks to MDL for their obvious effort in making the arrival at Ocean Village fun, with food and drink laid on... much appreciated all.

Most of all, superb effort Gary.... you are, beyond doubt, a superstar!

oGaryo

Visit site
Thirded!.... terrific day, and a great fun way to raise money.

The organisation was perfect, even going as far as organising good weather! :D

Thanks everyone for the company, chat and laughter..... and on top of the fab vehicle support from Trevor, a big thanks to MDL for their obvious effort in making the arrival at Ocean Village fun, with food and drink laid on... much appreciated all.

Most of all, superb effort Gary.... you are, beyond doubt, a superstar!

Thanks also Neil, not so sure about superstar mind you lols :) especially considering the amount of effort put in by Paul and Howard and everyone else, it was very much a team effort, one for everyone involved to be proud of :encouragement:

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
I was very impressed with the standard of organisation, the generous contributions from MDL, the terrific welcome at Ocean Village and of course the tremendous total raised. Bravo Zulu! (As we crusty old raggies are sometimes given to say.)

rafiki_

Visit site
I was very impressed with the standard of organisation, the generous contributions from MDL, the terrific welcome at Ocean Village and of course the tremendous total raised. Bravo Zulu! (As we crusty old raggies are sometimes given to say.)
Much respect to you too Dave, dragging your shopping bike over them there hills. Brilliant job!

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Much respect to you too Dave, dragging your shopping bike over them there hills. Brilliant job!

Been thinking about a road bike but they look a bit fragile for most of the stuff that I do. - Made up for the mediocre kit by doing hundreds of miles of training rides.

Last edited:

rafiki_

Visit site
Been thinking about a road bike but they look a bit fragile for most of the stuff that I do.

Horses for courses Dave. I have done a few longish ride on my old MTB. Downside you are dragging around more mass, upside it is more comfortable, forgiving, and reliable. However, I think only Flowerpower suffered a mechanical failure, so our roady bikes did OK. I hit a few bumps that had me cringing, but no damage that I can see with a quick look over. I will use the MTB over the winter, and keep my roady bike for the summer.
I found my bike pretty comfortable on the ride, gel saddle was fantastic. Got neck ache towards the end, but nothing too bad.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
There was one broken spoke that I know of on a road bike. Fortunately in Alton town centre and not far from a bike shop.

superheat6k

Visit site
Thanks for the kind words. I know you lot did the ride, but I was cream crackered by the end.

I did feel for you all on that hill up from Alton on leg 3.

Glad to get back in my car (an auto) today - why do we need clutches in the 21st Century ?

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but it was the forum charity ride in 2015 - and especially the Strava group - that got me into cycling in a big way. I have now signed up for next year's Pedal to Paris event in support of the Royal British Legion. And in case you're worried - I've swapped the shopper bike for something a bit more suitable!