My first foray into the Motor Boat Forum.

reginaldon

Visit site
I have no predjudice against motor boats, my club is a yacht and motor boat club, sharing officers sometimes a MB will accompany a mainly raggie cruise and I've never heard a disparaging remark from either contingent - we're good mates, however when I start reading some threads here there is much bitchiness.

Seastoke

Visit site
I have no predjudice against motor boats, my club is a yacht and motor boat club, sharing officers sometimes a MB will accompany a mainly raggie cruise and I've never heard a disparaging remark from either contingent - we're good mates, however when I start reading some threads here there is much bitchiness.
I don’t watch Man U ,tv because I hate them

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk

Many of us have no problem either way, others have a problem with everything & anything, on both sides.
We all enjoy relaxing on the water, some forget their manners occasionally, with wake or sudden unnecessary manoeuvres, its all about consideration for others, as is life.

Seastoke

Visit site
Many of us have no problem either way, others have a problem with everything & anything, on both sides.
We all enjoy relaxing on the water, some forget their manners occasionally, with wake or sudden unnecessary manoeuvres, its all about consideration for others, as is life.
Well said

markc

Visit site

It can be a bit disconcerting when you pile into a pub, late in the evening full of people who know each other, and discover that there is some banter that you aren't dialled in to. However, I'm not sure I would introduce myself by telling them that they are being bitchy to each other.

MapisM

Visit site
You couldn't believe what sort of lovely souls we are, in non-virtual world.
Otoh, we are also very shy, to the point of often hiding ourselves behind a forum bitchiness skin! :eek:

Lloydroberts

Visit site

what a bitchy post.

vas

Visit site

so joined the forum in 2004, 3.5K posts and now you're kindly letting us know?
wonder where these 3.5K posts were done and how come you just noticed...

fwiw, the sail vs mobo thing is non existent where I'm based, no rivers with narrow paths to follow and generally less boats in the water for anyone to bother.

V.

beejay190

Visit site
I have no prejudice against yachts . Only last week i altered course and received a friendly wave from a yacht skipper. Nice.

From time to time i meet people who used to own a boat and when i tell them i have a Mobo i get the “stinkpot treatment “. My standard response is :

“ When a yacht is in trouble ( runs aground, engine problems) what kind of boat arrives first to give assistance ?”

Blue Sunray

Visit site
The apparent animosity by sailing boat to motor boats exists only in U.K. wates as far as I can’t tell. In Mallorca it is non existant

It seems to be confined to (a small minority of) UK nationals but I have seen it when I've been sailing in the med (from Brits) as well. A lot of them seem to have similar hangups about foreigners as well.

Last edited:

julians

Visit site
The apparent animosity by sailing boat to motor boats exists only in U.K. wates as far as I can’t tell. In Mallorca it is non existant

Yep usually no trouble between sailing boats and motor boats in mallorca, on the odd occaisions thats there are its usually a british flagged yacht instigating the trouble

jcwads

Visit site
I’ve never had a problem in the short years I’ve been boating. On the Bag at Salcome I was the only Mobo and we made good friends with a few yachties. At Dartmouth regatta I was sandwiched in a raft with raggies and we all had a brilliant time, no hang ups or slights. But then I guess I talk to anyone and am too if a mind of not giving a toss about others opinions

Seastoke

Visit site
I have only ever seen 1 raggie with guy an engine and that was on the boards ,I had a lot of resect for him

henryf

www.911virgin.com
No angst towards the sailors here. In fact when even had one at the recent forum gathering in East Cowes.

It helps that in 20 years of motor boating not once have I heard a bad word uttered from a sailor and without fail they all give me a cheery wave as I alter course to minimise impact from our wake. :)

Henry :)

oldgit

Visit site
“ When a yacht is in trouble ( runs aground, engine problems) what kind of boat arrives first to give assistance ?”

Once very grateful indeed for a foreign registered Dutch yacht who gave my Mobo ( petrol with outdrives) a much appreciated tow to shelter on the North Kent coast, late one evening.
Never did manage to track him down.

Last edited: