My afternoon

ArthurWood

Visit site
Spent examining our 19ft Wellcraft, 1987 version, which we brought down from Georgia on trailer a few weeks back. Haven't use it for three years and never been in salt water.
Managed to get it started(Merc 4.3l) but antifreeze started to run out from the transom area, probably through the exhaust bellows. Took a look in the heat exchanger - full of antifreeze.
Closed it all up, said "oh bother," and stopped at bar on way home for a few Fosters. Met Sea Ray mechanic from local dealership who said he'd take a look at the boat. Then got chatting to guy whose English ex-wife was murdered by her boyfriend. He bought me a beer!! It's America!

G

Re: Episode 2: Only in America

Arthur finishes his beer, and the searay mechanic takes a look at the boat. As he peers around the engine compartment, Arthur notices that he puts his finger in the bilgewater and takes a sniff, and then a lick. Strangely, the mechanic then takes a big scoop of the bilge water and seems to drink it. Arthur winces but says no more.

The inspection around the engine sterngear and electronics continues normally, the mechanic explaining as he goes, Arthur nodding in understanding. The mechanic suddenly stops talking. He turns pale. "Wait a darned minute...yes ..well I’ll be...!" says the mechanic. "Where did you get this boat??? "

Arthur explains briefly how he came to buy the boat. The mechanic looks at him hard, grey eyes piercing, and silently points out the hack marks around the saloon and tell-tale bullet ridden fenders. He eyes Arthur suspiciously. He blurts out that that his ex-wife’s was murdered in a boat. In THIS boat. Arthur simply must have known the murderer, mustn't he?

Innocent yet desperate, Arthur decides that the best policy is to maneuver himself around to the driver's side door, and escape. Leaping in, he fires up the car, and tears away, the mechanic furious and still in the boat attached behind. Arthur can see him in the mirror, but drives at speed 60, 70 , 80 miles an hour. The road is almost clear, but with twists and turns as he drives south towards the Keys and the single road that eventually leads to Key West over 100 miles away. The trailer lurches into the kerbs sending up clouds of dust. Arthur can see the wild-eyed mechanic, armed with spanners and wrenches. Tools start raining down on the car roof. The mechanic begins to climb over the windscreen of the boat, holding on grimly as he makes his way slowly but surely towards Arthur. Foot to the floor, the speed climbs to ninety, ninety-five. They pass a traffic cop, and Arthur slows down - but sees that the cop obviously recognises the lunatic in the boat as he waves conspiratorially at the mechanic and stays put at the side of the road. On his own now, Arthur speeds on.

The mechanic reaches the towbar. Arthur knows that he only has a short time to think of something. But what? If he stops, there's no way he can overpower the attacker - he's crazed and drugged-up with antifreeze. Why the hell did he stop at that bar? No time to think, a sweeping bend approaches, one of the first bridges in the Florida keys highway. There's a loud jolt. In the mirror, Arthur watches horrified as the trailer detaches itself from the car, and boat and trailer shoot off into the sea thirty feet below.

Bringing the car to a stop, Arthur runs back to bridge. Unbelievably, the mechanic has detached the boat from the sinking trailer, got hinmself aboard the boat, started the engine, and begun a vengeful chase towards Arthur parked further up the road, almost on the water's edge. The chase continues, the mechanic pursuing Arthur the car on the highway, the boat twisting under and around the highway from the sea under the bridges, even leaping the highway at one point. He's toying with Arthur regardless of whether he turns forward or back up the road, cackling and taking great gulpfuls of antifreeze as he drives the boat harder and harder. Arthur grips the wheel and drives on southwards as hard as he can go....

What next? How much does Arthur really know? Who is the mechanic? Does his addiction to antifreeze mean that perhaps the mechanic was the murderer? What about that policemen - he must be involved too?....dot dot dot.. Only in America

paulineb

Visit site
Not busy then ??

That was brill. You just need to add the good cop/bad cop police interview, the courtroom drama, prison then appeal plus of course the love interest, a few sexy bits and the happy ever after sailing off into the sunset on a caraboat.

Pauline B

G

Re: writers block solved and leopard

ooh cheers, wouldn't have though of that. We'll need slowly turning fans in the courtroom, to show that it's hot, and definitely take control of the film rights otherwise that bruce willis will get it and I hate him except in pulp fiction.

Very busy. Got Leopard pics from italy. Can't tell if they are building a new boat or dismantling a scrap one. The microwave is located six feet up in the air, or maybe its a v swish radio for the worky types.

Geoffs

Visit site

Wow wot a story teller. We should be paying for this! Just as well Matt don't need the money.

Just like a TV drama stops at the exciting bit, next thrilling installment next week, eh Matt?

G

Re: Post the piccies please

... when you are out on the high seas....

RJMW

ArthurWood

Visit site

8.15am - what a great start to the day! Thanks for that, Matt.
....and I thought I was the one sniffing the anti-freeze:)
I thought about going back to the boat today, but after your posting, CNN might be waiting! Anyway, have to throw some stuff in the car and on the roof (bike) in preparation for a drive to Atlanta tomorrow to eat turkey with friends and family on Thursday - Thanksgiving. Long way to go go for a turkey (no comments, please).

G

Re: Totally true

Only the characters, dates, events and locations have been fictionalised, of course.