MX Mariner (Chart data lost)

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I've had the above on a tablet for some years and it is not supported anymore. I believe the creator is working on something new. It was very handy though for a quick position check.

Logged in a couple of weeks ago and the program was there but no chart data. Logged in this week, and the program is running but chart data has defaulted to Gmaps satellite view. The waypoints are still there and so is my position on GMaps.

As it is a stand alone, I'm wondering where the charts are on the Andriod tablet.

Any assistance would be welcome.
TIA

Last edited:

Fantasie 19

Visit site
I've had the above on a tablet for some years and it is not supported anymore. I believe the creator is working on something new. It was very handy though for a quick position check.

Logged in a couple of weeks ago and the program was there but no chart data. Logged in this week, and the program is running but chart data has defaulted to Gmaps satellite view. The waypoints are still there and so is my position on GMaps.

As it is a stand alone, I'm wondering where the charts are on the Andriod tablet.

TIA
As I remember.. and I used to use it to... it was annual subscription and you only got access to the charts while subscribed...

Rappey

Visit site
You might have to tick the box "show hidden file and folders" .
I bought a new phone, downloaded the app again but it wanted to charge me again. Found the folder, moved it to the right place on new phone but it still would not work. MX mariner was brilliant at less than £5 but the resolution appeared to deteriotate over time to the point that it became unuseable.

Rappey

Visit site
As I remember.. and I used to use it to... it was annual subscription and you only got access to the charts while subscribed...
I had it for a long time. When you paid you got a years worth of updates but after that all the charts continued to work but you didn't get updates.

Fantasie 19

Visit site

TIA
According to the manual "The regions will be stored in the <storage>/mxmariner directory on your device. On some android devices, this directory is an SD Card while others it is built in storage. You will need adequate storage space to download the chart regions you want to use."

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
You might have to tick the box "show hidden file and folders" .
I bought a new phone, downloaded the app again but it wanted to charge me again. Found the folder, moved it to the right place on new phone but it still would not work. MX mariner was brilliant at less than £5 but the resolution appeared to deteriotate over time to the point that it became unuseable.
Yes. Brilliant value and I've certainly had my monies worth.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I had it for a long time. When you paid you got a years worth of updates but after that all the charts continued to work but you didn't get updates.
That's my experience too. I'm guessing that somewhere in the source code it eventually zaps the chart data

Last edited:

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
According to the manual "The regions will be stored in the <storage>/mxmariner directory on your device. On some android devices, this directory is an SD Card while others it is built in storage. You will need adequate storage space to download the chart regions you want to use."
Funny , it's just started saying "No chart regions installed. Would you like to install some". They are there with prices but you can't buy them.

Anyway, thanks MX Mariner for an excellent low cost app that lasted way longer than it probably should have

Last edited:

Rappey

Visit site
I think a possible problem is when your phone updates is firmware and mx mariner does not update to match so it doesn't display your charts any more

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I think a possible problem is when your phone updates is firmware and mx mariner does not update to match so it doesn't display your charts any more
It's quite amazing that Google earth then kicked in automatically. Apart from no soundings, it looks good. You can at least see deeper coastal water.

The only thing it lacks is the classic "not to be used for navigation"😁

Other threads that may be of interest