Musto jackets

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
Does anyone know the difference between the Musto MPX Gore-tex Coastal and Offshore jackets ? the specs look the same but there's a 70 quid price difference.

I'm looking to replace a very cheap Gill jacket that's done me very well over the years and am also sailing the Fasnet course on e BT GC boat in May so want to get something that'll keep me dry for a week of potentially very heavy sailing.

Any ideas / suggestions ?

Roger Holden
www.first-magnitude.co.uk

Buck

Visit site
Gill Keywest, superb gear, never let me down plus it has a better collar than the Musto, Musto is overpriced, if you want to go higher end then try Henri Lloyd.

Buck

The thing about men and fish is one is always trying to eat the other.

Ohdrat

Visit site
Henri Lloyd use a material called ceramic triple point, Triple Point's breathing performance is better than Gortex in Cold dry climates.. I use Triple Point on the Mountains but would never contemplate it for obviously warmer and more humid climate sailing. It is massively over priced!

Not sure about the difference between the Musto specs as I too use Gill (Southern Cross) Key West is breathable.. Gill have now brought out a new Ocean suite which is probably a better bet than the Henri Lloyd. I would assume that if you are happy with your Gill Key West the Gill Ocean would be a good bet... if you go for the Gill Ocean let me know how it stands up to the Fastnet course!

It may also be worth looking at Helly Hansen as they are / have revamped their sailing kit

I would also advise buy some really good (patagonia are excellent) thermal underware.. the cheaper stuff is not biocidal (ie bacteria breed like fury and create one hell of a pong.. very anti-social!)

PaulJ

Visit site
I am not too sure about the different specs of the models in the Musto range but for what it's worth, I would caution against going for the "top of the range".......
Some years ago I got very cold and wet in my old oilies and my reaction was to go to the Southampton Boat Show and buy the top of the range Musto Oceans. This was just before they went breathable and I guess they were selling the old stuff off. Maybe the breathable ones are better but frankly, unless you are into sailing right through the winter, the top model is just too warm for much of the time. Next time, as long as it is just as waterproof, I would buy one further down in the range and have more control over my temperature by using more or less under layers.

nigelmusto

Visit site
Hi Roger,

The guts of the difference is in the hood and collar. The offshore collar is higher, has a spume visor on the front, and a hood which is held externally from the collar instead of being stuffed into it. The hood itself is adjustable not only around the face, but also around the head, making it a better fit and ensuring it stays put when you turn your head. The Offshore also has an internal harness facility, but on the Challenge boats you will be wearing external Lifejacket/Harness anyway.

As far as the other replies to the thread are concerned, true there are other products out there as breathable, but MPX Gore Tex has been proven in independant tests in the US to be nearly twice as durable as the best competitor, and substantially more durable than the rest. In terms of value for money, you will not beat it.

For what it's worth, I have been round the rock 4 times now, and I would go for the big collar and better hood without hesitation. At 3 am when it's blowing 40 knots and lashing with rain your perception of "value" will change substantially.

Nigel Musto

rogerroger

www.myboatdetails.com
Thanks Nigel

Advice from the horse's mouth !! cheers...

That's just the stuff I wanted to know - the Offshore sounds like the one I want, the high colar and decent hood... my current hood seems designed specifically to channel rain directly into my eyes!

Could you also explain the difference between HPX and MPX ?

From a consumer point of view, I do find the Musto range bemusing despite looking at your web site and your catalogue.

Roger Holden
www.first-magnitude.co.uk

ParaHandy

Visit site
Welcome!

But tell me...is it true that none of these breathables work unless your undergarments are man-made?

The thought of having to wear nylon knickers doesn't appeal somehow!

Buck

Visit site
My key west gear is breathable and superb, I will only buy Gill these days.

Buck

salamicollie

Visit site
Re: Welcome!

From bitter experience they do work with out man made underwear, but stop moving and a cotton T- shirt will cling freezing cold to you - I wear thermals (North cape) but you need to wear nylon knickers under them.....

Buck

Visit site
I know the one, opposite the Musto shop just up from the Anchor, last time I was there it looked like they were doing some good deals. Fetish wear looked good too. Must stop thinking about rubber boots that way.

Buck

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Well done!

I can put my hand on my heart and say I have not worn any other make for at least 20 years, so I am very pleased to see you prepared to take the time to answer a question; this stops us all from thinking that you are only interested in Paris catwalk fashion now!