murphy was a sailor

snowleopard

Visit site
just completed a passage from inverness to portsmouth.

100m east, 450m south, 100m west. and all but 20m with the wind from ahead. how can this be?!

and the main reason for going was because it was a big cat with a powerful rig. there i was expecting to be flying along and instead we were pounding into it the whole time and ended up with about a pint of fuel left.

there were a few compensations - 3 hours of twilight and dawn at 0300 up there.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Apparent wind

My limited understanding of things with more than one hull tells me that fast cats bring the apparent wind so far forwards they sail on a fetch or a beat in most wind conditions anyway. N'est ce pas?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

Romeo

Visit site
try sticking a knife in the mast next time, or put a silver coin under the mast when it is stepped. Never fails to bring fair winds.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
don't think i didn't consider it. same distance downwind would have put us above the arctic circle, always wanted to see the midnight sun.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
Yes and have you noticed....

... that there always IS a boat going the other way. Must be a retired so and so!

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site
Re: Destination

I am the only person here who actually quite likes going to windward (ergo I am not a gentleman!).

Running down the Solent on Monday, in about an F2, we were rolling about a bit, and making about 4 knots. I was rather envious of the people going the other way - their boats nicely powered up and doing 6knots+

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
Re: Spitzbergen

it takes a special breed. we met a german couple who had spent the summer in spitzbergen and came south for the winter - to inverness!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ohdrat

Visit site
Re: midnight sun

And now your going to miss the Annular Eclipse viewable from the Highlands..

<hr width=100% size=1>