Multiple NMEA inputs

JeremyF

Visit site
I've a Raymarine ST4000 autohelm with one NMEA input. I want to feed it GPS NMEA output, and wind NMEA output. Can I just wire both in, or do I need to go via an NMEA buffer? If the latter, where do I get one?

Thanks in advance.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>Jeremy Flynn/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
Dawn Chorus</font color=red>

seashaw

Visit site
I think you need a multiplexer like one of these:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.marinercomputers.co.uk/acatalog/NMEA_multiplexers.html>http://www.marinercomputers.co.uk/acatalog/NMEA_multiplexers.html</A>

Mark

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site
I'm in the same situation - you cannot connect two NMEA sources to a single input. You need a device called a "NMEA multiplexer" that combines multiple sources. There are a number of these on the market - at a cost of about £150

<hr width=100% size=1>

tillergirl

Visit site
I got a Raymarine multiplexer from Greenham Regis at a bit less than 150. Think it was about 100 a couple of years ago. Works fine and solves all the problems.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Mariner

Visit site
I see someone has already posted a link to our website, if you require anymore info on multiplexers please email or send me a pm.

Martin
Mariner Computers

<hr width=100% size=1>

kdf

Visit site
Do you have a part number for this unit? I cant kind it on the Raymarine site.

thanks -kevin

<hr width=100% size=1>

JeremyF

Visit site
Thanks for the info all. At this price I think I'll put a switch between wind and GPS. Now, where's that Maplin catalogue?

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>Jeremy Flynn/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

jfkal

Visit site
I would go for the Raymarine NMEA Seatalk Bridge. Feed the GPS directly into the 4000 and and the wind in the bridge. Will help you for future expansion at roughly the same price.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Miker

Visit site
That's just what I did, reasoning that I would not want signals from both sources at the same time. I've yet to try it though. Last time out, neither would work but I've now traced the fault to the autopilot deck socket corroding over the winter, after thinking that my new wiring has b*****ed it up.

<hr width=100% size=1>

JeremyF

Visit site
Yes, wish I had gone for an all Raymarine system. The money I saved by going for a Navman wind would be blown by an NMEA multiplexer. Anyway, I picked up a waterproof switch from RS at Hedge End, and now I'm going to switch between wind and GPS. All I have to do is perfect my really bad soldering technique!

Aeolus_IV

Visit site
Sounds like your soldering technique is perfected already /forums/images/icons/smile.gif - I avoid this by always crimping suitable spades (and tags if necessary) onto wires. This avoids buring myself with my own perfected soldering technique, and (I'm told) reduces chance of corrosion in the wiring.

Jeff.

<hr width=100% size=1>