MPPT Failure

rajjes

Visit site
So last year I upgraded to 2 X 100W solar panels feeding a domestic bank of 400AH through an MPPT controller (of the cheap variety). All went well and I could enjoy cold bears while keeping the batteries charged!

Yesterday I went out for a good day sail and after switching off everything on leaving the boat I checked out the battery monitor and found it charging 6 amps at 16.5V!

I immediately checked the mppt and it was dead with no indicator lights whatsoever when usually during normal operations it has some 3 indicators.

I have temporarily removed the solar fuse to disconnect supply but am very concerned that the mppt was not a fail-safe design.

I dread to think what could have happened if I did not notice the charging rate and left the batteries cooking for possibly a few weeks!

So some questions:
Which MPPT controller would you recommend within a reasonable budget?
How can I be sure that something similar will not happen again with the new controller?

Monique

Visit site
The BEST MPPT according to me.... Victron.

You define what a reasonable budget is for you... if you have to replace your batteries after they've been cooked by a "budget" MPPT.

GL

Trundlebug

Visit site
+1 for Victron.

Before I bought mine I did extensive research, and I mean extensive.

Although there are plenty of "claimed" MPPT controllers out there for very low prices off ebay, they're all names you've never heard of, with a look and price that tell you where they were made and that they're not the real thing.
I came to the conclusion that the best value REAL MPPT controller was Victron.

William_H

Visit site
Just as a matter of interest it is likely the cheap MPPT controller had a buck converter. This essentially has a transistor switched at high speed between the solar input and the battery +ve via an inductor diode arrangement to recover the additional power. Anyway a simple failure of the switching transistor to an internal short (typical failure mode) would give the symptoms you mention. ie solar direct to battery no regulation. good luck olewill