Moving Boat from Rockport, TX to Florida in November / December

Sailing_Journey

Visit site
Hi all,

I know that hurricane season "officially" ends on November 30th, but hoping to get your advise on moving my sailboat from Rockport, TX to Florida. I have a captain to help, so I'm more concerned with your opinions on when the best time to go would be. My time frame is loose, but I can't wait, for example, six months. Hoping to do it Nov / December, or as late as January. Are those safe months for weather, in general, on the gulf?

Phil

jdc

Visit site
I concur that US based forum may be more likely to have authoritative answers, but the source data is likely to be the same: the noaa.

In particular, this site has statistics from the last 60 years or so and is worth a read. It shows that true hurricanes are very unlikely between January and April. Amongst others this graphic in particular should be a bit reassuring.
AtlanticCampfire.png

The routing chart for the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico will also repay study.

Last edited:

Bilgediver

Visit site
Hi all,

I know that hurricane season "officially" ends on November 30th, but hoping to get your advise on moving my sailboat from Rockport, TX to Florida. I have a captain to help, so I'm more concerned with your opinions on when the best time to go would be. My time frame is loose, but I can't wait, for example, six months. Hoping to do it Nov / December, or as late as January. Are those safe months for weather, in general, on the gulf?

Phil

I agree with some others that you would get more valid information asking on Cruisersforum as there will be many there familiar with this coast. Enjoy the journey I have many happy memories of Corpus Christie Houston New Orleans Mobile Pascagoula and Tampa as well as Miami and Fort Lauderdale around the corner.

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Search Forums