Moving boat from Holyhead to Conwy

NigelFortune

Visit site
Hope some of you North Wales sailors or anybody can confirm or suggest any modifications or additions to the following plan.
At moment boat on hard at Holyhead (Sigma 33c) soon to be dropped in the water. Will be doing full engine service before I try the move. Moving boat to Conwy so as to be nearer home for the winter and not so adverse weather. Have been big boat sailing for 3 years but didn't do much last year due to ill health. Crew will be self, son, mate (RNLI volunteer) and his mate. Plan to start form Holyhead 2 hrs before before low tide to get me to the Skerries at slack water low. Should have 2-3 knts flood along the top of Anglesey with about 35 miles to go to the Fairway Bouy at Conwy should take less than 7hrs with 1 hr to marina from Fairway bouy(worse case). Cant realy afford to spend more than 8 or 9 hours on the water due to lack of stamina(but it's getting better!). Have done compitant crew day skipper and coastal theory sailed dinghies and windsurfed for some time. Anybody got any does.... donts... should....should not.

Cheers Nigel

shaunksb

Visit site
Passage plan

Hi there.

By Skerries I take it you mean you will pass inside them and round close to Carmel Head. There is no benefit in going outside the Skerries. The main thing to consider will be the conditions around this corner of Anglesey. You really don't want a F5 NE to greet you as you round Carmel Head with the tide, that will be very tiring. I usually count on around 30 miles through the water on this trip so if you can keep up 5knts 6 hours may well cover it. It's usually less than an hour from Holyhead entrance to Carmel Head - don't arrive too early to make the best use of the tides.

Watch out for pot markers and have a good trip.

NB Are you aware that the channel buoys have recently changed at Conwy?

IPsailor

Visit site
Nigel

Easy trip on one tide, N going tide in Holyhead bay inshore during the last of the ebb so usually under 1 hour Holyhead to Carmel which can be passed very close but lots of pots on the way up. Go inside Middle Mouse but avoid back eddy just to E of it on the flood. You will be past Lynas close in before it gets bumpy and the distance of disturbed water is often very brief. More disturbed often I think close to the NE of Puffin Island and often an infestation of pots there as well. Conwy channel bouyage recently changed but entirely logical on the way in, be aware of the dog-leg - you will be there at high water so no depth issue. Have a good trip.

Andrew

Danny Jo

Visit site
Hi there.

You really don't want a F5 NE to greet you as you round Carmel Head with the tide, that will be very tiring.
Seconded. Wind over tide along that coast makes for very bouncy sailing. The ideal wind is a southwesterly. Provided that you haven't got wind over tide, arriving at Carmel Head an hour after low water slack isn't the end of the world - you'll make up most of the lost time with the faster tide along the North Anglesey coast.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
It's a lovely scenic trip with the tide & any wind with some west in it. All the overfalls are marked on the charts & from memory you can mostly stay inshore of them (including the Mice). I think Harry Furlong is the only one you are better going outside of but a chart will tell you.

Have a great trip & take a few photos for us.

salamicollie

Visit site
Round Carmel Head inshore of west and Middle Mouse, Inside Victoria Bank (NB the cardinal mark is on the outside of the bank!) outside HarryFurlong and OUTside East Mouse...

As the OP say not to be done in anything E or NE, great with a Sw or W, if wind is Southerly can sometimes get big gusts come down at the brick works on the north coast

pcatterall

Visit site
Not sure when you will arrive at the fairway bouy but, as advised above do make sure you have the latest bouy info to hand. If you are not used to navigating a bouyed channel then study the ( latest) chart carefully watch the bouys and ensure you dont inadvertantly cut important corners!

LittleShip

Visit site
All advice above is worth studying......

Carmel head inshore and stay close less than a cable to avoid most of the overfalls

Harry Furlong Out side as Searush said.

Middle Mouse I always go close to shore inside with the flood.

Lynas point Again close inshore with the flood and around the head.

Crossing Dulas bay in certain wind conditions can be dreadful so be prepared to go inshore to more settled waters and around Red warf bay out to Puffin.

The North shore is stunning and you can sail/motor close to it to get a good view.

Watch out for lobster pots but keep and eye out for wildlife there are lots of Dolphins in this area.