Moving aboard.

Ezra57

Visit site
Considering buying a motor cruiser as a liveaboard with no sailing experience. Intend to buy a birchwood classic for 25-30k and trying the life for a year while doing the RYA courses. If I like it after a year would upgrade. If not sell boat and with my 100k (boat + savings) buy somewhere ashore.
Does this make sense or is it a pipe dream? I've read many sites looking to put myself off and haven't found any serious reason. Your input would be much appreciated.
Ta

nortada

Visit site
Considering buying a motor cruiser as a liveaboard with no sailing experience. Intend to buy a birchwood classic for 25-30k and trying the life for a year while doing the RYA courses. If I like it after a year would upgrade. If not sell boat and with my 100k (boat + savings) buy somewhere ashore.
Does this make sense or is it a pipe dream? I've read many sites looking to put myself off and haven't found any serious reason. Your input would be much appreciated.
Ta

Welcome to the form and best of luck with your adventure.

Does this make sense or is it a pipe dream? Well it is certainly doable but only you will be answer that question.

If you ask specific questions, somebody on here may have the answer but will certainly have an opinion.

From your message, I assume that currently you do not have property ashore?

My first questions to you where do you plan to base yourself and are you a single hander?

PlanB

Visit site
Well, we bought a motor cruiser as a liveaboard with no experience, spent three years learning the ropes and then motored to the Med where we stayed for 12 years.
So yes, it's doable but, as Nortada says, there are a lot of questions that need answering.

V1701

Visit site
Go for it, you could do worse than park it in Milford Haven Marina as well, very friendly & reasonable prices. DO NOT MENTION THAT YOU INTEND TO LIVE ABOARD, this applies wherever you decide to go, UK marinas are very twitchy about it but most have some. Trawl this forum and you'll find plenty of advice and tips...