Move abroad? Where would you go?

G

Violence on the Streets, Foot and Mouth in the country, Red tape, Government, I want to quit this place and move abroad but where? I need to find schools for the kids 7 to 15 and It has got to be warm and have a Marina. Any suggestions?

G

British Virgin Islands. Perfect weather except for the occasional hurricane, great cruising and diving, friendly locals, good hotels and restaurants, cheap booze (avoid the Painkillers), a developed banking and legal system to look after the pennies. Send the kids to boarding school back in Blighty. Mine's a Hatteras 58 for those offshore fishing trips with the boys and a 40' catamaran for pottering around the islands

G

hmmm, what about.....

Florida (or maybe California come to that) : oops no sorry, there's even more violence on the streets than here plus drugs, school mass killings and hurricanes (or earthquakes for CA).

Australia : no, what with the skin cancer thing and all those horrible creepy crawlies etc. and beer that's been passed twice already.

New Zealand : maybe but then you might just kill yourself out of boredom unless you find sheep attractive!

Portugal : no probably not as they always seem such a surly lot whenever we've been there - perhaps they don't like tourists!

Southern Spain : why not, it's warm, cheap, friendly and not too far from home to pop back for shopping when necessary and you can cruise the Med during the summer hols.

G

Re: hmmm, what about.....

Vancouver; stunning cruising, loads of wildlife, great restaurants, cheap canadian peso, not too warm, but great summers, (A bit wet in the winter) great skiing, everyone speaks english (sort of) good flights direct to heathrow, low crime, great schools, great universities, booming economy, realxed happy people who actually care, good service.

Hmm, cant think of much bad to say in fact.

G

GREECE ! Low crime, good food, sun, nice people, cops take a drink, mayor takes a drink and as long as you dont put a roof on your house you don't pay property taxes.

G

Re: Monaco?

All the above seem good. Monaco is mostly marina, no country to speak of, English/US schools, and not much govt since not much tax.

G

Can't say much bad about Florida, but I wouldn't want to have kids educated here. Boating is great, weather is a bit sticky for a couple of months in summer, people are friendly and laid back and speak a kind of English, services are great, cost of living is not too high, taxation is lower than UK and disposable income is considerably higher. Yes, hurricanes come by now and again, but here in SW FL, the last direct hit was years and years ago. The sun shines and shines.

G

I like Fla. too but how easy is it for a Brit. to get a residents permit Arthur?

G

It's not easy Byron, unless you are brought over by a US company or have your own business. However, we've met a few Brits here recently who didn't seem to have much difficulty. We we were fortunate in that I was transferred from the UK on a 3-year contract by my US employer who eventually supported our Green Card application. That was 14 years ago and we are now retired here. If you are serious I can ask some people. We are leaving for Atlanta/UK/Spain/Portugal/Switzerland today, however so don't expect a quick response.

G

Buy a villa in port St Charles Barbados you get alongside mooring. You get your boat in duty free and allowed to get a duty free car. The development has on site security and the schools in Barbados are reasonably good. Weather is warm and rum is cheap. There is TAX however if you are not earning there it won't affect you. Cheers

G

I am not on comission or advertising its one option.

Cheers

PS I forgot to mention that all taht comes with a PRICE TAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 0
G

sounds ideal and is EEC so no visa problems...how about the language, and how do you work to pay for the boat??

G

I've been told that you can get round the regulations by taking a holiday each year. Just go out of the US to Mexico for a couple of weeks and then re-enter. Of course, it doesn't give you the same guarantee as a green card but I'm sure I've heard that it works so long as you don't cause any problems to the authorities.

Can anyone else comment on the above?

G

beware, may be bearing gifts!!!! NM

beware, may be bearing gifts!!!! NM

G

Nobody has mentioned medical services for poor old bastards like me nm

w

G

ahhh catalenveno pethaikimou, thelo djulia stin ellada for me and the other half to pay for the diesel