Mounting Stainless Steel sheet and thin ply in cabin.

davidpbo

Boatless in Cheshire. Formerly 23ft Jeanneau Tonic
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
I need to stick a small stainlees steel panel 1mm thick approx 500mm by 300mm behind cooker to thin hull. There are also two small ply panels to go either side. Would "No Nails" or something similar be OK? Or should I epoxy wood strips and screw into them?

I would like to be able to get panels off if I needed to, can't think why but... .

VicS

Visit site
I'd bond on wooden pads and screw into those. Have done so in fact

I find car body filler excellent. Warmed up it sets quickly enough to be able hold each pad in place while it does so. For important or heavy things I also glass over the pads.

A polyurethane adhesive might work just as well.

Have also used Velcro stuck with impact adhesive for some things but would be concerned about the effect of heat on the adhesive in the galley.

Tried and tested. my galley liners have been there for well over 20years.

click:
<span style="color:white"> ...................... </span>

tcm

Visit site
great chunks of s/s are indeed stuck around commercial kitchens using no nails or a lot of silicon and similar adhesive stuff such as mirror adhesive. Much nicer if you can avoid drilling thru it i think, use hidden screw methods if you need to demount later.

Strathglass

Visit site
I stuck on several stainless tiles around the cooker in the galley using the adhesive foam pads supplied with the tiles. They have been on for the last couple of years.

The pads for sticking on car number plates should be quite adequate.

Iain

JKay

Visit site
I used silicone for my stainless plate surrounding the cooker still up 5 years later

Cliveshep

Visit site
A variety of adhesives and materials will hold the stainless and the ply, impact adhesive, plastic padding or other car body filler, silicone mastic, gripfil or no-nails etc. However, if you are bonding to a grp or even bare steel hull what I have done over the years most successfully to insulate and prevent condensation forming onto the stainless is, believe it or not, bond carpet to the hull first with impact adhesive, and then impact adhesive the stainless to the carpet face. You might think the carpet is too resilient but remember any loads are spread by the stainless steel sheet over it. There is no heat problem behind a cooker with the impact adhesive, if there is your cooker is too close to the hull anyway or top burners need adjusting.