Motor Boating and Sailing what's your experience?

Do you also bat for the other side?

• I am a Motorboater and I have no sailing certificates

Votes: 17 18.1%
  • I am a Motorboater and I have a dinghy sailing certificate

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I am a Motorboater and I have a Dayskipper sailing certificate

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I am a Motorboater and I have a YM Coastal/Coastal skipper sailing certificate

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • I am a Motorboater and I have a YM offshore sailing certificate

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I am a Sailor and I have no Motor Boating certificates

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • I am a Sailor and I have a Powerboat level 2 certificate

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I am a Sailor and I have a Dayskipper motorboating certificate

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I am a Sailor and I have a YM coastal/ Coastal skipper Motor Boating certificate

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I am a Sailor and I have a YM offshore Motor Boating certificate

Votes: 6 6.4%

• Total voters

neale

Visit site
Posting on another thread I thought it would be interesting to see how many of us have some level of experience of the other side of the fence. I know that RYA quals do not automatically translate to experience, but it is a way of measuring to some extent the level of experience we have. You only get one vote so tick the highest level you have achieved in the other discipline.

The questions obviously relate to practical courses

Poll is coming................

Robin

Visit site
Hey! I can't vote! I taught dinghy sailing and racing in the '60s, have loads of dinghy trophies, a few big boat ones, have cruised under sail around 70,000 miles and I now own a 47ft mobo to cruise the USA.

But I don't have a single certificate, unless you count one for swimming 25yds when I was four! That poll is as biased as a Salmond referendum.:)

neale

Visit site
Hey! I can't vote! I taught dinghy sailing and racing in the '60s, have loads of dinghy trophies, a few big boat ones, have cruised under sail around 70,000 miles and I now own a 47ft mobo to cruise the USA.

But I don't have a single certificate, unless you count one for swimming 25yds when I was four! That poll is as biased as a Salmond referendum.:)

I did think about another option of no certificates but lots of experience but run out of room. We only get 10 options!

DAKA

Visit site
Posting on another thread I thought it would be interesting to see how many of us have some level of experience of the other side of the fence. I know that RYA quals do not automatically translate to experience, but it is a way of measuring to some extent the level of experience we have. You only get one vote so tick the highest level you have achieved in the other discipline.

The questions obviously relate to practical courses

Poll is coming................

you missed off the Internationally recognised International certificate of compliance or doesn't that count ?

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I have a swimming proficiency badge from 1957 & my Sea Scouts "Anchor" badge do they count?

I have a sailboat that motors a lot cos I can't be arsed close tacking when on my own & Kwacka will tell you what progress we made against wind & tide in the Straits! We went smartly cross to the other side & back again about a dozen times but never out of sight of the pub. Great fun it is too.

rafiki_

Visit site
I started as a sailer in dinghy's, then windsurfer as a penniless student, then Sunsail yachts in the Solent, then a BT Global Yacht, before becoming a motorboater, who still loves the occasional sail. Can't vote in Neal's poll though coz I don't fit any of the categories.

ChattingLil

Visit site
We both did PBII at the yacht club we belonged to. It was subsidised by the club so that all members could use the launches and safety boats. I would have thought that was quite common at clubs - maybe not.

Lakesailor

Visit site
progress we made against wind & tide in the Straits! We went smartly cross to the other side & back again about a dozen times but never out of sight of the pub. Great fun it is too.
Bloody typical. Zig-zagging dangerously in a channel. I bet you didn't have your underwater lights on either.