Motor Boat Handling

Paul Tom

Visit site
Hi, I'm looking for some experience in parking and un parking cruising motor boats. Don't panic, I'm not a complete beginner! I actually have quite a lot of experience , I'm simply looking to brush up on my skills. The reason? I'm an RYA Cruising Instructor (sail) looking to convert my YM qualification to motor(early this year) . I have some skills to "trade". On the shore-based side , I'm qualified to teach navigation and I'm also an SRC assessor. Im based in Doncaster , but happy to travel

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I found this quite a useful practice article ...

Boat Handling - Twin-Screw Manoeuvring.pdf

And this one for Single shaft boats ...

Boat Handling - Docking Single Screw.pdf
Interesting but I fundamentally disagree with a couple of the articles teaching points.

I do agree that you almost never use anything much above idle speed for the engines in close quarters stuff. Even then on some boats idle is 4 knots so it’s little tickles of into gear and out of gear.

I know lots of people do it, but the best instructors I’ve seen say DON’T put both hands on the levers. You’ll get into trouble one day doing this. Put one hand in your pocket if necessary and use one hand on the levers. It helps your brain work out what’s happening.

The biggest difference that the average yacht driver needs to appreciate is that the rudders on a motor boat are tiny in comparison to a yacht rudder. A lot of the time you can leave the helm mid ships and slow speed manoeuvring (including all steering) is done totally on engines.

if you’ve got some money to burn, one of the best Power Instructors I know is Tony Stanton of Palma Sea School.

Last edited:

superheat6k

Visit site
My hands are normally thoroughly adhered to each throttle I'm afraid, but yes rudders set ahead as I approach the berthing situation. I generally manage to get by OK.

I've tried the rudders over sideways manoeuvre on both my last (Turbo 36) and current Corvette - not a chance with their puny rudders !

BB1

Visit site
P
Hi, I'm looking for some experience in parking and un parking cruising motor boats. Don't panic, I'm not a complete beginner! I actually have quite a lot of experience , I'm simply looking to brush up on my skills. The reason? I'm an RYA Cruising Instructor (sail) looking to convert my YM qualification to motor(early this year) . I have some skills to "trade". On the shore-based side , I'm qualified to teach navigation and I'm also an SRC assessor. Im based in Doncaster , but happy to travel
Parking !

Uricanejack

Visit site
Depends what you want to learn.
The answers vary with the type of boat and drive systems.
Best option is to take a basic practical course, or clinic. Some schools may offer a clinic or focusing on parking.
Particularly if they will give instructions on different types of boat.

unless you are looking some experience for a particular boat.