morris vidette

aztec

Visit site
iv'e just come accross an old morris vidette engine and gearbox. 750 cc side valve. it belongs to a mate of mine and he doe'snt know what to do with it.

i dont know if it turns but the 'box looks OK. any ideas/offers?

G

Austin seven owners\' Club (NM)

Austin seven owners' Club (NM)

:)-{)>

G

Do you need a new mooring?

Roly, Voya Con Dios, Glasson, Lancaster

G

I spent a lot of time working on vintage engines as a youth, now I send them to a museum or the bottom of the sea where they make good mooring weights. (Unless its very rare and of interest to the sort of people that stand around in fields talking about tappits etc and poishing things)

Roly, Voya Con Dios, Glasson, Lancaster

Aja

Visit site
Gawd - we had one of these! When they go they are so smooth. They were orginally marinised as lifeboat engines.

Better with a diesel.... it really belongs in a museum

G

Hi all. I have just joined this forum and I could not resist responding to some of the comments re the Vedette.
We, that is all two of us who do this for a hobby, have been entrusted with the last remaining genuine spares for the side valve Morris range of Marine Engines along with the registers and working drawings.
To start with the original engines were not marinised car units but units built specifically for the purpose.
The side valve engines continued to be built beyond the early overhead valve units because of their reliability. The engines were indeed fitted to lifeboats and many thousands of people owe their safety and lives to them. However lifeboat engines were only a small part of the production.
When BMC took over things changed, for the worse. We will not go there at this time. We buy or seek donated spares for sale to other owners inorder to buy up other spares. If we have any surplus, which is rare, it is to be donated to the Vintage Wooden Boat Association to top up their bursery system. As yet we have not been able to this.