Morocco

Cin70

Visit site
I'm kinda flabbergasted by this. Are you seriously dismissing exploring a fascinating country because of a couple of hours of beaurocracy and some official got a bit of dirt on your shiny decks? As for the toilet paper, no, don't take your own if the loos are not designed to be used with toilet paper! Do what the locals do.

No, but because of the manner in which they treat women and the looks they gave, because homosexuality is illegal and the manner in which they treat them, because of the way they treat their own citizens, because of the beautiful beaches covered in plastic, because of the difficulty getting decent food, and because I was told by a friend to embrace my prejudice and go, only to have them confirmed. But mostly because of the way they treat women and their victim blaming. But I'm guessing you lot are probably male, and straight . . ..

sailorman

Visit site
I'm kinda flabbergasted by this. Are you seriously dismissing exploring a fascinating country because of a couple of hours of beaurocracy and some official got a bit of dirt on your shiny decks? As for the toilet paper, no, don't take your own if the loos are not designed to be used with toilet paper! Do what the locals do.

use their left hand

steve yates

Visit site
No, but because of the manner in which they treat women and the looks they gave, because homosexuality is illegal and the manner in which they treat them, because of the way they treat their own citizens, because of the beautiful beaches covered in plastic, because of the difficulty getting decent food, and because I was told by a friend to embrace my prejudice and go, only to have them confirmed. But mostly because of the way they treat women and their victim blaming. But I'm guessing you lot are probably male, and straight . . ..

Fair enough, they good enough reasons, (except the decent food bit, that's rubbish) but not the one's you posted originally.

Correct, I am male, and straight. So what? sounds like a prejudice in itself! India is very similar in many ways, but I happily took my very young children there for 3 months each time for 4 years on the trot. I would take them to morroco as well. We go on holiday with our mate and his husband often, and I certainly wouldn't suggest Morroco for that, because of the homosexuality laws, your right about that, but it wouldn't stop me going without them, (I have been) and it would never even occur to them to suggest that I shouldn't.

Visit site
Last time in Morocco I remember a pickup truck going the road with one of the large dog/animal cages in the bag. In the cage was a woman. Presumably the guy's wife, but who knows.

Anyway, neither hear nor there concerning this thread, just thought I'd share.

Besonders

Med for the summer, Caribbean for the winter
Visit site
Last time in Morocco I remember a pickup truck going the road with one of the large dog/animal cages in the bag. In the cage was a woman. Presumably the guy's wife, but who knows.

Anyway, neither hear nor there concerning this thread, just thought I'd share.

A sight you could see regularly in most inner cities on a saturday night.... They are called Police Vans.......!!!

PhilipH

www.sailblogs.com
Has Cin70 been to Morocco? Rabat is a very modern city with local folks dressed in all kinds of ways and a cosmopolitan feel alongside a very traditional Arabic culture. We really like the country and will return. Not all countries develop and embrace social change at the same pace - Ireland has only just legitimised abortion, the USA is trying to turn the clock back re transgender folks and abortion. Seems like a position has been adopted on this issue and nothing anyone says will change the prejudices.

Cin70

Visit site
Aah, i didnt realise avoiding countries where women, homosexuals, trans etc human rights are abused is prejudice ?

moomba

N/A
Visit site

What another western world member having a go at another culture and its food and the state of its beaches , trying to tell them how to lead their lives , is that wise again after the fiasco of Iraq and Afghanistan,
Liberal values of the west are not shared around the world , respect their culture even if you disagree with it , one day they will modify their beliefs and move on , but who are we to command it or demand it.
I for one an taking in Morocco in my travels , if only to broaden my mind to the vast amount of culture out there without prejudice.
(Spare me the lecture on rights I have no right to judge others like I will not judge you)

blenkinsop

Visit site
We stopped in Mohamedia on our way to the Canaries 3 years ago. We chose there being convenient for joining crew to fly in (no yachts allowed in Casablanca) and the pilotage into Rabat looked scary in any swell
Tight for space on the dock and only 1.8m at LW. Friendly reception.
But inexpensive and the dock area was guarded. We were issued with passes for coming and going. Small supermarket and other shops a short, cheap taxi ride away.
Very cheap train to Casablanca, where we found an Irish pub to watch the rugby world cup. Otherwise not impressed with the city.
Also cheap to get to Marakesh, well worth a visit.

Resolution

Visit site
Aah, i didnt realise avoiding countries where women, homosexuals, trans etc human rights are abused is prejudice ��
Are you quite sure that your standards are absolutely right? Other countries have evolved different standards and I feel one should respect them when in their country. Just as you would hope they do if in our country.

Resolution

Visit site
Very cheap train to Casablanca, where we found an Irish pub to watch the rugby world cup.

There should be an Irish pub in every port! Also rugby enthusiasts , we have been pleased to find Irish pubs in Stockholm and Marmaris (and Rome) just for the rugby. :encouragement: