Morocco

Richsquest

Visit site
Is there anyone with any experience of Moccocan marinas particularly so in the Spanish Enclaves ? We are hoping to cruise over April/May and would welcome any advice.
Thanks

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Richsquest on 21/01/2004 16:16 (server time).</FONT></P>

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
Haven't been to the marinas but sailed to Tngiers last summer. You tie up next to the tangier Yacht club(!) a small hut in the corner of the fishing harbour. Only three boats there when we visited. Immediately we were accosted by Mustafa who seems the head honcho in those parts for the glorious sum of 7 euros we hired him to sort thimgs and guide us round the city the following day. It was money well spent and we even had our own armed police guard all night. Mind you we didn't leave the boat unmanned at all- always one person on board whilst the others were sightseeing, shopping etc. We found the Morroccons delightful and eager to help. But I am sure Mustafas protection smoothed all sorts of paths. Even though he did insist we visit his 'brothers'carpet shop- easy to explain you don.t have much room on a boat! Customs and Immigration visit the boat although you have to go to the Harbourmasters office. Great time thoroughly recommend by us.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Vasco

Visit site
Been to Morocco in 97, no marinas but beautifull fishing harbour in Essaouira , west coast. Expect no facilities but a unique experience. Not for people who can't stay away from floating pontoons and who get terrified at the thought of rafting up to trawlers. It's safe , beautifull , out of the tour bus run , people are friendly, food is delicious and cheap. Highly recomended!

<hr width=100% size=1>

A

Anonymous

What languages can you use in Morocco, in the harbours? I speak French but no Spanish (yet). Will that do?

<hr width=100% size=1>

HaraldS

www.taniwani.eu
no experiences with marinas in Morocco (yet), plan to have another go this summer before we leave the area. From what I know there are only a few marinas, and all are in the med part.
Been to Ceuta which is Spanish, and Tanger.
Ceuta has an ok marina, but there isn't a lot of space. We ended up at the marina entrance, just far enough outwards from the gas station to not get them upset. The place was fine and safe, with the coastgaurd station right next, but a longer walk to town, and we needed to 'drop' an anchor off the cais as there was nothing solid to tie up to. Still, a very nice place, just a bit strange as it is an enclave.
As already pointed out in this thread, Tanger is quite nice and Mustafa takes very good care. He took us inland to Chefchauen for a whole day at extremely reasonable price. We had no worry leaving the boat alone, as it is very well guarded and the yacht club area is off limits to most. They take your passports and give you a passage permit.
When I wanted the passports back I found out that one of the civil guys that was always walking around on shore, was actully a customs guy, he was happy to fetch and bring our passports when we wanted to leave, and being back within ten minutes, pointed out how fast and efficient he was, which in clear meant he wanted a tip.
In general they take very good care of their visitors and try hard to please you. Probably a safer place than many on the European side of the strait.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.taniwani.de>http://www.taniwani.de</A>

charles_reed

Visit site
Petty crime

is rife along the spanish Med coast.

Bikes especially, they go round in gangs with boltcroppers.

When I reported mine stolen the policia informed me that 80% of crime in Spain was juvenile and assocaited with 2 wheels.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Vasco

Visit site
french will do , I believe it's the second official language and it's widely spoken. I'v never been to the Spanish territories , but assume it would be the same.

<hr width=100% size=1>

temptress

gbr195t.com
HI,

Had a fantastic time in Morocco. We went across to Ceuta from Gib and enjoyed ourselves. The marina and Staff were first class. Then we went East along the coast. There are some Marinas, generally empty and sparse but mostly fishing ports - plenty of very friendly locals and lots and lots of pointless red tape but very worthwile.

Make sure you get inland and see some of the country away from the coast and tourists. I loved it and am already planning to go back.

I hear from other crusiers that their experiances on the atlantic coast were not as good as mine.

Charts were easy to find but generally wrong - so take care - channels move and bouys sink. In one port a radio conversation with the Harbour master (who spoke good english) went something like this - 'we can't seem to locate the channel' HM- 'I'm not sure where it's moved to but if you stick close to the wall you will probably be OK'.

Enjoy -

<hr width=100% size=1>Temptress of Down
Southsea Marina
Hants
UK