Morgan Giles

ChrisN

Visit site
I know that I shouldn't have to post on this board as well as Scuttlebut, but I really do need help :)
Help ! Does anybody out there have any infomation on a 41ft racing sloop now named "Clarion" designed by Morgan Giles for his son in the late 1950's. Alternatively can somebody point me towards any useful web sites which may help. I have found this boat crumbling in an out of the way south coast boatyard and I am trying to decide whether to try to restore her.

Castletine

Visit site
Sounds fascinating.

I don't know whether it's of help but try;
http://boatbuilding.com
it's full of enthusiasts who although may not be able to help with the history, could def help on the restoration.

Do you know whether she is registered with the British Registry of Shipping at Cardiff - they were able to provide proof of ownership for my Yacht going back to when she was launched in 1931.

Good luck, I'd be interested to hear more

Jonathan

ChrisN

Visit site
Jonathan

Thanks for your posting. This is what the owner told me about Clarion.

"Clarion is a Morgan Giles designed boat and was built by his shipyard especially for his son, for racing, and was a variation of his standard 38' sloop. The hull is of double diagonal mahogony, and is in sound condition. I sailed the boat from New Haven to Poole a few years back and she handles beautifully, very fast. It has an aluminium 48' mast a wooden boom, with roller reefing forsail. The sails are new, as is the stainless steel rigging. The diesel engine works fine, but hasn't been started since the boat was put in the yard, but that shouldn't prove to be a problem with a diesel. The only fault with that side of it there is a sheer pin on the output shaft from the gearbox which tends to sheer on a fairly regular basis if you put on full power. The super structure is not original and is in poor condition, and a great deal of it would require replacing, although the forward cabin is original. There is a little bit of kit with the boat, re-upholstered cushions etc., I have all the flooring and engine compartment boards which are in good condition. The rudder is damaged and no longer usable, so a new one would have to be manufactured.
Clarion was taken out of the water early 97 after motoring her up the Wareham river on a really good tide. The mast is in a work shop in Sturminster Marshall and the boom along with a couple of other things are at Blandford. I have some of the bits here, sails and odd things. The last time I sailed her was in 97, and I purchased her in about 94. I really cannot remember when she was built, but I seem to remember 1958 but this could be wrong, I will try to get this information. You are welcome to go look at what was a beautifully designed and pretty boat. She was designed with just the forward cabin, with a very low freebord, the last owner built on the extended cabin, most of which needs replacing or redesigning. "

I have since been back on board and discovered the manufacturers plate which reads :-
" CLARION No. 727 Designed and Built by Morgan Giles Ltd. Teignmouth 1959 ".
However, after further examining the boat without the rose tinted binoculars, I have decided that the condition of the boat puts it beyond my practical and financial capacity to restore.
It is a great shame as she has fabulous lines so if you are looking for a very long ( and probably expensive project ) contact me for details.

Chris

wsteer

Visit site
reply to Clarion post

ChrisN - A very long time since your post. If for some reason you read this I would love to know what yard Clarion was in when you viewed her. I assume she has been broken up or rotted away now. Would like to hear from you nonetheless.

penfold

Visit site
I don't think you'll have any reply, the OP hasn't posted anything since July 2001 as far as I can tell. 40 feet of double diagonal; sounds like a lot of work just keeping it nice let alone restoring, if it's been let go it'll be fit for firewood by now.