Moorings in Plymouth or Cornwall?

lw395

Visit site
A friend of mine is looking to relocate to somewhere near Plymouth.
What are the chances of getting a mooring at sensible cost?
Not necessarily club rates, but cheaper than a marina?
He was looking at a trailer-sailer, I'm suggesting a 'proper yacht with diesel inboard' would suit them better.
Not sure how much grief launching/parking is on the Plymouth rivers.
I think it's a case of maybe getting a boat next season.
Is there a trade-off between cost and waiting lists?
What are the best clubs? He's mostly a dinghy sailor now so a club that catered for both would be good.
Obviously I'm hoping to go sailing with him....

Obviously he's doing his own research, but I thought maybe there's some local knowledge on here to tap into.
So far we've learned that many clubs down there could do with a bit of help on the website front :)

Cathy*

Visit site
If he gets something he can launch himself there is cheap storage on a secure yard near QAB that we used last year for a 6m rhib. 24 hour key access. We launched at Mountbatten which is a free public slip. He could launch at QAB for a charge.

The people at The Corinthian seem nice and their food is good :) http://www.rpcyc.com/

Last edited:

ronsurf

Visit site
The choice in Plymouth is wide depending on what boat he has. Plenty of available moorings where I am, and I can think of quite a few alternatives, depending on his tastes.

As for public slips, Plymouth is fortunate to have loads of them, from Riverside (underneath the Saltash Bridge), all the way round to Mountbatten, I'm guessing 20 slips, maybe?

lw395

Visit site
The choice in Plymouth is wide depending on what boat he has. Plenty of available moorings where I am, and I can think of quite a few alternatives, depending on his tastes.

As for public slips, Plymouth is fortunate to have loads of them, from Riverside (underneath the Saltash Bridge), all the way round to Mountbatten, I'm guessing 20 slips, maybe?
Thanks!
What about slips on the other side?
I get the impression traffic can be hectic in Plymouth and launching on the Cornwall side might be less fraught?
His SWMBO has family towards St Austell so possibly looking to be a few miles into the Land of Strange Things.
I said Fowey would be nice but you need a time machine to even get on the waiting list for a mooring there.

I've not sailed on the Plymouth rivers for a decade or two, I can remember sailing to the pub at Cargreen, which is no more apparently?

ronsurf

Visit site
Slips that come to mind over that side are Riverside, Richmond Walk, Cremyll St and Mutton Cove. I think there is a public slip in Saltash, with parking nearby, and a pub. And a train station!
If they are in Snozzle, the best option may be Torpoint. The Mosquito sailing club has moorings, I believe, and I think others are available.

Cargreen is still there, the pub is currently being redeveloped. Weir Quay is an option. It's a long way up the river, but cheap and available.

Appledore

Visit site
My mooring is at Cargreen, and there's usually several moorings available for purchase or rental:

http://www.cargreenyc.org/

The club is very active, with cruising events, dinghy sailors and Cadets. Safe storage ashore if you want to leave a dinghy ashore. Membership rates and mooring fees are some of the best in the area.

At low water we have a causeway that is used to reach the
river's edge.

Unfortunately the Spaniards pub is not open, and is not at this time being renovated as was suggested. It's a great pity, and hopefully sooner or later it will re-open to the benefit of the village and yachtsmen and ladies.

lw395

Visit site
My mooring is at Cargreen, and there's usually several moorings available for purchase or rental:

http://www.cargreenyc.org/

The club is very active, with cruising events, dinghy sailors and Cadets. Safe storage ashore if you want to leave a dinghy ashore. Membership rates and mooring fees are some of the best in the area.

At low water we have a causeway that is used to reach the
river's edge.

Unfortunately the Spaniards pub is not open, and is not at this time being renovated as was suggested. It's a great pity, and hopefully sooner or later it will re-open to the benefit of the village and yachtsmen and ladies.
I was wondering how much river flow affects keeping a boat up the Tamar?
Having done a bit of dinghy sailing on the Arun, where even when the tide is rising, it isn't always flowing in....

I guess the pub at Cargreen is quite off the beaten track for Landlubbers.
We should start another thread for pubs to sail to.

Appledore

Visit site
I was wondering how much river flow affects keeping a boat up the Tamar?
Having done a bit of dinghy sailing on the Arun, where even when the tide is rising, it isn't always flowing in.....

The flood and ebbs up the Tamar can be quite strong, especially around mid-tide. It's something you really have to plan for if you have a mooring there, especially mid-river.