Mooring Lines

Brightside

Visit site
Sorry, my second post today. Everything coming at once!

Needing new mooring lines and reckoning on 16mm for my 13m MB. Have been told to look for softer rope that will do less damage to gel-coat than my existing old lines which came with the boat. Now thinking of black lines, but wondering what? Nylon, Poly, Braided .... and then where from? My regular mooring is a marina pontoon. Thanks in advance for your advice.

sarabande

Visit site
16mm seems a little on the skimpy side unless you are in a pretty sheltered berth TBH. What will be your normal layout -for'd and aft breast ropes, fore and aft springs, and/or head and stern ropes ?

If the previous mooring lines were abrading the gel coat then something is wrong with the (fair) lead, and you might consider steel chafing plates to prevent the gel coat wearing through and cutting the lines.

jac

Visit site
Consider two sets of lines.

One set of permanent lines - hard eye in one end - shackled to the cleats and with some type of snubber in. This should have some type of sacrificial "padding" where it passes your fairleads - all lines of basically the right size for your boat / berth. I would go larger on these - 18 - 20 mm or more if your cleats can take them.

Second set is the set you only use when you're elsewhere. Your permanent lines stay on your berth and you then use the other set in visitors moorings. 16mm should be ok but worth getting a couple of longer / thicker ones as well - either as shorelines if rafted or to double up the "normal" ones in strong winds.

Greg2

Visit site
16mm is fine IMHO. Braided should be avoided because it doesn't stretch. It has become popular for mooring lines for the wrong reasons i.e feels soft/easy to handle. Three strand is the way to go and choose something with some stretch e.g. nylon, polyamide. Softer ropes for less damage to the gel coat is a bit of a red herring I think. Get the right ropes and add some protection if required e.g. Sleeves on the lines or stainless rubbing points. Old fenders can do a job if cut up and placed where chafe may be an issue.

Last edited:

Spi D

Visit site
Just replaced mine. Went for Liros Handy Elastic (stretch characteristics > 20%) and reused the rubber snubbers. Very comfortable lines (no jerking) and the snubbers provide the little extra if needed.
00136_liros_handy_elastic.jpg

For a couple of lines that must not stretch I use Dyneema. Extreme strength from thin lines :)

Last edited: